Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Yet even more tow opinions being solicited:

Considering towing a 28' Classic with 2004 F250, short bed, 6L diesel, Crew Cab (I think wheelbase on this will be around 155"), and Hensley Arrow hitch.

Would like to hear your opinions of this combination.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Sounds like you will have it made with that equipment. The only thing I might be leery of is the new 6.0 Powerstroke but perhaps they will have all the kinks worked out of it by then. As of now they are still having trouble with them. If I were you I would look for a new 7.3, there are still a few on the dealers lots, you just need to search a bit.

So, any guesses on how much all those goodies will run ya?, I'm thinking what, over a 100 grand, huh?

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:27 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
That truck should certainly pull the trailer in great style. Not being a diesel owner, I can't comment on the longevity of the 6.0 engine. if I were to buy a diesel today, I think I would go with the diesel 2500HD with the Allson transmission.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
bad news guys, Ford is no longer producing the 7.3L powerstroke. I was told by my local dealer that production ended early this year. I guess I was lucky to get a 2003 with the 7.3L
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Chas
Sounds like you will have it made with that equipment. The only thing I might be leery of is the new 6.0 Powerstroke but perhaps they will have all the kinks worked out of it by then. As of now they are still having trouble with them. If I were you I would look for a new 7.3, there are still a few on the dealers lots, you just need to search a bit.

So, any guesses on how much all those goodies will run ya?, I'm thinking what, over a 100 grand, huh?

Chas
Well, I have also heard about the problems with that engine. My thought (hope, I guess) is that since is the third model year for the 6.0L, that a lot of the bugs will be gone by now.

Yes, I think by the time all's said and done, it will be around 100k. However, I'm comparing that rig, and the utility of having a separable p/u, against a 100k new MH, and the A/S combo wins every time. For us and what we want to be doing, at least. Let you know in about 40 years when we're done with it...
Old 08-10-2003, 03:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
That truck should certainly pull the trailer in great style. Not being a diesel owner, I can't comment on the longevity of the 6.0 engine. if I were to buy a diesel today, I think I would go with the diesel 2500HD with the Allson transmission.
I'm particularly interested in the tradeoffs of 2WD vs 4WD, and SRW vs DRW - any thoughts there?
Old 08-10-2003, 03:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
I have 2wd and non dually, although its not a 6.0L I get near 19mpg highway not towing and approx 14 when towing 29' a/s.
Duallys get less mpg but are a little more stable and are designed to carry a load. If your towing on the receiver hitch you could go either way but I would go without a dually because your not carrying a load just towing it. 4wd v/s 2wd well that a personal thing, are you going off road? 2wd requires less maintenance in the long run, gets better fuel economy, and in my opinion rides better, if you need the 4wd then by all means go that route.
Greg
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Tradeoffs

I would choose SRW. The load is down low, not high like a 5th-wheel. SRW will be a whole lot more pleasant when not towing.

OTOH, 4WD is a real nice thing to have, especially with a heavy trailer. Prevents spraying gravel or mud on the trailer when getting out of side roads and the like. I have used low range on mine to get up a steep hill where I had to start at the bottom from a dead stop. Mine has the automatic 4WD and I always put it in that mode when towing in rainstorms.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:36 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Dave-

We pull a '72 Sovereign (31 foot) with a 2000 F350 PSD (7.3L) 4x4 crewcab shortbed SRW. I installed a Hensley Arrow and I'm extremely pleased with the overall combo. It's long! Probably about 15% of campgrounds we've stayed overnight in we'll have to unhook. You'll be a little better off with the 28'.

I like having the 4x4, but have only had to use it with the trailer a couple of times on loose gravel, just to keep the rear wheels from spinning. Definitely put on a pair of good mud-flaps to protect the front of your trailer from rocks. The A/T tires are really good at picking up large debris and throwing it at the trailer!

I'm not an expert on the virtues of the 7.3 vs. the new 6L. I have heard of problems with the new engine. I bet the tranny is awesome, though, and there are more than a few problems with the 7.3's tranny. Either way, if you're buying a Ford, you'll get to know your local service guy pretty well!

MY MAJOR GRIPE with the Ford is the "vague" steering. I don't think they've ever worked this out. If you drive big trucks all the time, you may never notice it. If you drive sports cars and european or japanese imports, it'll drive you nuts. The 4x4's are worse than the 2wd models in this regard. There are some fixes available. I've tried them all and they don't solve the fundamental problem. I recommend taking a good long test drive and see if you can live with it. I put up with it because this truck has an awesome engine. I got to know a GOOD local alignment guy and invested in the "lifetime" alignment plan! I need it aligned every 10-15K miles. YMMV.

I found the factory hitch on my 2000 was very, let's say, flexible! I don't think this is the same hitch as you'll be getting. I replaced it this year and I'm very pleased with my new Putnam.

I replaced the factory shocks twice. Once with Rancho adjustables, then with Bilsteins--I'm very pleased with these. I am considering airbags in the rear just to soften the ride.

I got rid of the factory Firestone A/T's as soon as possible. I'm using BF Goodrich A/T's. I might change to Michelin LTX M&S (if I get over my grudge against the French before the BFG's wear out!!!).

If you spec out your truck I'd recommend the "camper package" which includes a rear stabilizer bar to reduce sway and improve cornering. Also, I think the "off-road" package includes the front steering damper. This is essential to keep the truck on the road! I've replaced mine with a better aftermarket one by Pro-Comp. I got the dual alternators on mine. I'm not sure if the 6L comes with that option or not. I would recommend you consider the F350. It's got a higher load rating than the 250. Once you put the powerstroke engine in the F250, there's not much room left in GVWR to haul anything! I put in a 45 gal auxillary tank to stretch out the fuel stops since the stock tank is only 30 gals. When I load up the generator, tools and supplies, spare tire, wife and put the tounge weight of the Airstream on that was 9860# on our last trip. That's way over the 8800# GVWR of the F250!!

Good luck!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 04:34 AM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Better get over the "french" thing quick; BFG is owned by Michelin
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 03:58 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Oh well...I just can't win can I? There's probably another 10,000 miles left in these tires for me to try and let bygones be bygones!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #12
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Love my 3500 RAM for payload and power, my PPP hitch for proven performance under personal extreme conditions and many other reported conditions, SRW has been fine, and 4x4 has been useful more than once. The 2500 would have been fine, but we planned to full-time, loaded to the max and it was what was available on the lot. BTW, the mega cab beat everyone for back seat options. Folds down flat to almost a full sized mattress shape and can carry 500# of luggage/stuff inside the cab (not in seat belts). It's comfortable for three adults (about 500# in seat belts).

PM me if you want contact info for top volume RAM truck salesman in the country who will beat/give you the best deal. Shipping to east coast ~$800 from CA if needed.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #13
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Just installed Michelin LTX M&S 285/60--20 from COSTCO on mine after 37K miles in 12 months. Great tires.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The post about vague truck steering is still valid. 4WD vs 2WD. And that Bilstein shocks always worthwhile.

But I haven't otherwise figured out the re-opening of this 14-yr old thread. Guess my Wheaties need that Budweiser after all.

Was it the association of US Navy and what to do with "vague steering"?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We chose 4WD when we bought this 2006 2500HD. A year later we pulled into a Florida fairgrounds for a rally, truck tires sunk in really fine sugar sand. Pushed the 4WD button and the truck eased out perfectly with trailer right behind. More times than I can count we've used 4WD. Sometimes when others have waited for the tractor to pull them out, sometimes just to make sure we didn't bog down.

This Spring, first time ever, I let my truck down. Pulled it into a campground's low spot, very wet area, and sunk down to the axles front and rear. Someone promptly joked 4WD digs four holes where 2WD only digs two. Good Sam Roadside Assistance responded pretty quickly, pulled truck and trailer onto higher ground and all good except my pride.

Won't address hitch, diesel, or even Ford since none apply to me except when I have to hitch my gas Chevy to pull a diesel Ford out of trouble. Just kidding, some of my best friends tow with Ford diesels. And sometimes I wish I had Duramax, but not usually.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #16
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

Was it the association of US Navy and what to do with "vague steering"?
Touchy subject with all the sad news of late with regard to Naval ship navigation, loss of lives and ships out of commission . I was just looking at Bernoulli's reason for sway while passing and the similar effect on ships during UNREPs at close distances.

No, I just lobbed on about the new tires after the other posters veered off; my lemming tendency.

RAM steering is rock solid, even while towing, especially with a ProPride
Old 09-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It was that the thread was from 2003. I'm highly in favor of old threads re-opened, but these guys are driving trucks older than my not-yet-introduced 2004 Dodge. The main crowd around here doesn't keep vehicles too long.

Forgive me for poking fun. The recent C130 crash in MS was with Marines my son was acquainted as a pilot. Upset me several days, and still does as I think of it.

FWIW I reply to ghosts now long departed in a thread someone's reopened about once a year.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #18
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I'm wondering how the OP made out with his 6.0L. I see he hasn't made a post in eight years.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I'm wondering how the OP made out with his 6.0L. I see he hasn't made a post in eight years.
Saw him outside the truckstop trying to thumb a ride. In anything but a Ford.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #20
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Saw him outside the truckstop trying to thumb a ride. In anything but a Ford.
I don't know why you have to be like that, my Ford has been the best truck I have ever owned and I've owned all of the big 3. But I still don't talk trash about other people's choices.