Old 04-24-2017, 06:12 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Woke up with a dead battery

We have a 2015 25' International and have installed a three phase converter that I bought from Randy at Best Converter. We are also using the original factory batteries that are just over three years old.We have been on the road for six weeks and plugged into shore power everyday yesterday we had a change in our plans and spent the night at Cracker Barrel this morning our battery was down to 9.1. The only electro that we used was a few lights and the ceiling fan. Is it normal for the batteries to drop this much over night?

Thanks for your help.

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
No, that's not normal. Are use sure everything else was off? Did you use the inverter at all?

Sneaky power drains I check are the sub woofer and TV antenna boost, make sure they are off. But even those shouldn't have cause your problem.

I've had batteries last for seven years, but the certainly can go bad earlier.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
How is the water level. I just burned a battery up two weeks ago
Old 04-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
See my OCD Below
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ml#post1940178
Old 04-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The heat of Arizona will shorten the life of your batteries. Three years may be all you will get from them. When you replace them, make sure you check the water level in them at least monthly.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Pull the batteries. Check the battery water level. Fill with distilled water. Buy a hydrometer. Charge the batteries with a smart charger. When charged pull the charger off. Check each cell with the hydrometer. If any cells are down then you need to get get a dumb charger that can boost the voltage up to around 15v and charge each battery for a couple of hours without the vent caps on. Then retest with the hydrometer. If the cells come back so all are showing good with the hydrometer then you these batteries will be good enough to use while you purchase new batteries. If you can make them fit go with gap 27. Trojans is a good brand. If you want to go AGM then Lifeline is a good brand and Randy sells them.

If you don't want to go through all that then purchase new batteries. Once you drop down to 9v they have probably lost a lot of capacity anyway.

The last 20% of a battery charge takes longer than getting to 80%. Even with my PD4655 it would take a couple of days to switch from absorption to float stage.

Look in to getting at least 200w of solar on the roof too. A Blue Skyy controller with the Blue Sky monitor panel will all you to set the correct charging parameters and monitor the batteries more accurately.

When dry camping verify inverter is off, TV amplifier off etc. The only item that should be running is the fridge electronics and the LP leak detector. If your trailer as a dump valve light make sure its off.

Everyone seems to have battery problems when they first purchase an Airstream. I purchase mine preowned and found the Parallax charger wasn't charging the batteries. Switched to PD4655. I now have a set of Lifeline 6v, Magnum 1012 inverter/charger, 200w of roof solar with Blue Sky control an Pro monitor panel installed as part of my queen to twin bed conversion. Batteries are always at 100%.

Good luck.

Kelvin
Old 04-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Echoing earlier comments to check the water level in each cell and to check the specific gravity with a hydrometer. Is there a purchase date sticker on the batteries? Probably a good idea to touch base with Randy too. Sounds like it might be time for new batteries, assuming they are 4-5 years old perhaps.

Are you sure your tow vehicle is supplying the proper charge to your batteries when you are towing? Whenever we pull in for the night, when traveling, we check the battery voltage after waiting an hour. This a good "baseline" for electrical use overnight.

I would also double-check all your battery and wiring connections for corrosion and loosening. Someone even mentioned looking at your connection terminals on both the 12v and 120v panels, as road vibration can loosen things up. [Disconnect from shore power first of course.]

Good luck!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyfvr View Post
We have a 2015 25' International and have installed a three phase converter that I bought from Randy at Best Converter. We are also using the original factory batteries that are just over three years old.We have been on the road for six weeks and plugged into shore power everyday yesterday we had a change in our plans and spent the night at Cracker Barrel this morning our battery was down to 9.1. The only electro that we used was a few lights and the ceiling fan. Is it normal for the batteries to drop this much over night?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thank you all for your advice. I puled the batteries and went to the Interstate distributer and it turns out that both batteries had some bad cells, so we now have new batteries and I hope that that solves our problem.

Thanks again for the help.

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the update.

Happy Trails for the summer!

Peter
Old 04-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Phantom Loads

We address this point in our last year WBCCI meeting. One member experienced a similar issue and:
We "discover" an hidden phantom load:
In his Airstream trailer, the installed DOMETIC RM-3762 refrigerator have an "heater" around the door that the manufacturer call: Climate Control Heater to prevent sweating in high humidity. This heater is powered in a permanent mode as soon as the refrigerator is "on".
See attached page # 12 of the service manual of the unit.
This heater draw nearly 1 Watt (.890 W) from the DC circuit. In other term: 1.68 Watt-hour or 21.34 Watt-Hour per day.
The wire that feed this 24 ohms resistor was cut by the owner of the trailer; for his usage (no high humidity camping) this heater is not required.
And he "saved" 24 watt-hour per day!

Michel
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DOMETIC_RM_3762_Page_12.pdf (510.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I, too, had dead batteries yesterday evening. So, I plugged into the truck to run the refrigerator on propane last night. We are on the way to St. Augustine, and stopped by the Walmart in Rockmart, GA this morning. I was going to try to fit group 27 deep cycle in the box. No joy. Then I find that they have a group 24 deep cycle as opposed to the marine/starting battery. The battery is much heavier (more lead), and has a 2 year warranty. Most flooded marine batteries have a 1 year warranty. They were $99.00 ea as opposed to $69.00. I thought it was worth a shot.

We're plugged in at Pine Mountain, GA tonight, but will do some boon docking on the trip. I will try to give an update on overnight voltage drops later.
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I boon docked last night. When I checked the batteries yesterday they were at 12.6 volts. I ran the propane refrig and 4 LED lights all night. After 15 hours the voltage checked at 12.4 volts. Not too bad.
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
2016 26U Wake up to Dead trailer Thursday

Chk in CG on tuesday ,thursaday am trailer is Dead! Had 120v shore pwr.
Was in "Use" ,Store /Use switch no action. Took Batteries to Interstate,Bad cell in both 2015 date code. No warr. Buy and install 2 new Batt. Now ok.
However i think there must be a problem in the Use/Store relay or front to back AC inlet relay or Inverter? Going to try to find Problem.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Like it or not, batteries die. We talk about 4 years being "typical" on a flooded cell. That's all it is, just an average number. Some last a bit more, some last a bit less. The number of charge cycles maters a lot. The depth of discharge (even when in storage ....) matters a lot. The temperature they are charged / used / stored at matters. Some brands are better than others. The guys with the big ad budgets don't always have the best batteries. Some very highly regarded batteries last for about two years in their intended (golf cart) application. RV's aren't the only thing that runs into this.

Bob