Old 09-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Geismar , Louisiana
I checked the fuses and they were good. There is a thicker guage white wire that connects to the fuse panel and to the battery negative. I just found it odd that the white only grounded for the brakes and not for any of the lights. I will take a look at the wiring schematics and ill take some pictures for you as well.

Should the shore power also charge the battery? I thought it would so when I plugged in and tested the leads I was almost sure I would have seen some power there, but I was surprised I didn't have any. All the other things in the trailer worked off the shore power.

I will get you some pictures today. Thanks again, I owe you a steak dinner or something.

-Dane

Old 09-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
The grounds for the lights are either the shell or a common white ground that they all feed back into and connects back to the negative side of the fuse panel. Not 100pct on which on the 66. Since they would share the white ground with other things in the trailer it won't be obvious that that's the ground got the lights. You'll probably see a heavier (10-12ga) white wire that connects to the negative fuse bus that's not the battery wire. That's likely the common ground for the trailer.
Shore power only charges the battery through the converter. So if the converter isn't on or working or it's fuse is blown it won't get any power to the12v side. If it's original it's not a bad item to replace. The old ones were single stage, meaning they produced the same voltage all the time which isn't good for the battery. It tends to overcharge this way and shorten battery life. A modern 3 or 4 stage converter is a good upgrade and they are normally pretty easy to swap out.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Geismar , Louisiana
Thought I had came back and replied here, sorry. So I got all the wiring figured out and now they only thing I am noticing is that the charge to the battery is only 5 volts. I am assuming this is ok? I figured it was a trickle type charge and wouldnt be the full 12volts but maybe I am wrong?

Thanks once again for all the help, I couldn't have done it without you guys!
-Dane
Old 09-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Charging voltage should be around 12-14 volts. Depending on the battery charge level and the specific converter.
Is this the voltage from the converter? If so it's probably shot.
Could be a bad battery as well. Check the battery voltage with the battery disconnected and on the battery terminals.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
To rule out bad 120v to the converter you should check the outlet it plugs into, you may want to power the converter 120v direct from a shore 120v outlet and an extension cord to be sure it's working as well.

Tags
caravel