Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tonganoxie , Kansas
Wiring suggestions...

Our 84 excella is having some electrical issues and I'm wondering if it is dues to mice chewing on the wiring inside the walls. :-/ I have power coming in but the fridge won't come on the lights won't work. The 120v outlets outside won't work etc. I hate to have to completely gut the inside, especially because we just had the walls all painted but don't know what else to do. There are some issues with the 12 volt system too. I bet it'd get pretty pricey to gut and rewire the whole trailer. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Old 05-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Have you checked the 120 volt panel to make sure the circuit breakers are on and the 120 volt circuits have power?

Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The refrigerator works on 12 volts. If you have 120 VAC coming into the trailer, there is no guarantee that the 12 volt DC to the appliance will be working. Check the power supply that charges the batteries and supplies 12 to the trailer. Start by checking for 12 volts at the batteries and then work backward through the fuses to the refrigerator and at the input to refrigerator it self. Do the 12 volt lights in the trailer work? Is there a proper ground to the batteries? there is a fuse on that ground as well.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Tonganoxie , Kansas
Checked the power at the panel. All the breakers are on. The wiring coming into the panel is all hot. The insulation on the wires coming into (or leaving the bottom of the panel) has either chewed off or rubbed off because there are some bare spots on it.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Troubleshoot. Start at the source and work your way down the circuits.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Tonganoxie , Kansas
I put two new batteries in so I know they're good. There are fuses on the batteries and one is blown But I can flip the switch and go to the other battery. The instrument panel works, but the 12 volt lights don't work. Maybe my power converter is bad? When I plugged it in it does seem to be humming a lot. But if I unplug it there is still power to the 12 volt items that do work (roof fans, instrument panel, radio).
Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Tonganoxie , Kansas
I also had a couple of the 12 volt circuits that have been blowing fuses as soon as I put a new fuse in. I am sure one is for some lights but not sure what the other is for.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Chance View Post
I also had a couple of the 12 volt circuits that have been blowing fuses as soon as I put a new fuse in. I am sure one is for some lights but not sure what the other is for.
If they are blowing as soon as you put them in, you have a direct short and need to find where the circuit is grounding out.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Tonganoxie , Kansas
Thanks everyone for your help! I'll see what I can figure out tonight after work.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Tonganoxie , Kansas
I've narrowed my problem down to what I think is one circuit on the 12 volt side. It is the "brown" circuit which controls three lights above the windows in the front, one light at a ceiling fan in the front, the step light, flood light and apparently the refrigerator. I think there is a short somewhere in the wiring and keeps causing the fuse to blow immediately. Could I add another fuse bar and run new wiring and separate all that out? It seems to me like the fridge should be on its own fuse anyways. Thanks for any input!!