Old 10-17-2003, 11:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
wiring reccomendations for lights

I just bought a 1967 Sovereign, and have finished ripping out all the smelly furniture, three rotting subfloors, and various other undesireable things. I am planning to refurbish the airstream with a semi-modern look, maintaining the room structure, but with modern appliances (I am building a house, and need the airstream to live in while I build the house).

I'm wondering what wire type is best for the exterior (running) lights, the tail lights, and for overhead light fixtures. I'd like to install it while I have the interior paneling and insulation off. I'm new to the forum, but I've definitely admired how much detail folks are able to contribute, and I'd sure appreciate a little advice from a true amateur. Thanks!

Jimmy D. Pippin
1967 Sovereign 31'
"Do or do not; there is no try."
duckrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado

I've got a 67 Tradewind. Mine has aluminum wiring and yours may too. If all panels are off you might consider rewiring all with copper. Otherwise you'll have to pigtail connectors after cleaning them to prevent copper to alum oxidation.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
If you're that far.....

rewire with copper. Al. has been a "fire" issue in Mobile homes for years. That's why it didn't last long for Mobile home wiring. If mine (AS) had Al in it, I would have replaced it immediately!

Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master
LOST , Hawaii
For your 12v wiring use the best wire you can find, it is hard to get at between the skins. Run a few spares as you go, it will make repair or upgrades a lot easier in the future. Use good grommets where you go through the ribs. I glued mine with weatherstrip adhesive, quite a few of the originals had come out. Keep the 2 voltages seperated as much as possible. Draw a rough schematic, that way you don't miss any wiring and you know what it is when the skin goes back on. Now is the best time to install phone, cable tv, etc.

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote