Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Auburntown , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to cookeville34
Wiring notes from the confused

Some observations I made today:
1) When I brought the trailer home, the front outlets stopped working except for the sink outlet. I discovered the fridge outlet had french fried inside the wall, easy enough fix, but two rear outlets above bunks and bath oulet still do not work.

2) Interestingly there was a secon 110V wire in the fridge outlet that apparently had never been wired to anything, I temp hot wired it and could find no use for it, so I capped it back off.

3) There was a 110V wire plugged into the fridge outlet that appears to connect to the Univiolt on the opposite side of the trailer, is this correct?

4) The two outlets above the middle bunks and bath outlet do not work, even when a hot wire is temp plugged into them. Although if I temp hot wire these same three outlets the Univolt hums like a sewing machine, even if its not plugged up to the fridge outlet.

5) My trailer has a place for just one battery, all the 12 volt lights work and the battery gauge on the inside works most of the time. I did not hook the Univolt wires up to the battery, should I?

6) There is a 12v light switch by the door, what does it do? There is a 12v light switch by the couch that turns on a little round light outside.

1992 Buick Roadmaster Wagon, 5.7L - V8, stock 5000# tow rating, posi, aux trans cooler, rear coil over shocks, 2" rear spring lift kit, flowmaster exhaust.
cookeville34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeville34
2) Interestingly there was a second 110V wire in the fridge outlet that apparently had never been wired to anything, I temp hot wired it and could find no use for it, so I capped it back off.
Do you have an air conditioner on your coach? If not, it could be the lead for it

Quote:
3) There was a 110V wire plugged into the fridge outlet that appears to connect to the Univiolt on the opposite side of the trailer, is this correct?
That doesn't sound right. Your 120 volt lead for your Univolt should be fairly short, maybe a foot or two long. Possibly a PO modification?

Quote:
4) The two outlets above the middle bunks and bath outlet do not work, even when a hot wire is temp plugged into them. Although if I temp hot wire these same three outlets the Univolt hums like a sewing machine, even if its not plugged up to the fridge outlet.
Sounds like for some reason those outlets are hooked up to the 12 volt system , check for 12 volts at those plugs before continuing.

Quote:
5) My trailer has a place for just one battery, all the 12 volt lights work and the battery gauge on the inside works most of the time. I did not hook the Univolt wires up to the battery, should I?
If the Univolt is not connected to the battery, it will not be able to charge it, and eventually the battery will go dead.
Quote:
6) There is a 12v light switch by the door, what does it do? There is a 12v light switch by the couch that turns on a little round light outside.
You should have a small light over your entry door, this switch should control that light, if it is the switch I am thinking of.