Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #21
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
I guess it all depends on the amp-rating of the buss bar and the awg of the cables. I had to bring the DC through a buss bar and it works just fine, with very little voltage drop.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Magnum uses 4 conductor communication cables in 2 orientations: 2 twisted pairs from inverter to remote and the BMK and 4 flat wires for the battery temp. sensor.

They NEVER use 6 conductor cables.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Not a disconnect pre se, but a manual re-set marine circuit breaker like this:https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat...=Surface_Mount.

They should be sized according the the cable going from the batteries to the bis bar. This adds the required circuit protection and gives you the switching option as well.

Lew, I put a rated fuse near the battery for the inverter positive feed. Then a rated cut off switch just after that. Is this overkill? I am afraid that anyone turning off AC power would think that power is off. It is still possible for the inverter to take over producing AC that could shock someone. I guess it is belt and suspenders.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
Lew, I put a rated fuse near the battery for the inverter positive feed. Then a rated cut off switch just after that. Is this overkill? I am afraid that anyone turning off AC power would think that power is off. It is still possible for the inverter to take over producing AC that could shock someone. I guess it is belt and suspenders.

Nope! I do that on a regular basis. You should be good to go!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote