Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 PM   #1

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Issaquah , Washington
Wiring Diagram?

Hello,

My wife and I just purchased a 1957 Flying Cloud and are looking to get the trailer road worthy again. Does anybody have a generic wiring diagram I am able to use in order to get going in the right direction. I've restored cars, motorcycles, and homes, so this shouldn't be that bad. right? jk.

So instead of wasting a bunch of time chasing down wires, does anybody have anything useful? Thanks

Griff
griffinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Help anyone?

Griff,
To answer your question, no I don't have one, sorry.
Are you looking for anything specific or a total re-wire?
This reply will bump your question back to the top, hopefully someone will respond. I know there are some talented electrical folks here.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Griff

Hi, If you want a manual of your trailer the best bet is call Airstream. They sell manuals for most trailers and motorhomes.
Regards Russell in rainy Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffinia
Hello,

My wife and I just purchased a 1957 Flying Cloud and are looking to get the trailer road worthy again. Does anybody have a generic wiring diagram I am able to use in order to get going in the right direction. I've restored cars, motorcycles, and homes, so this shouldn't be that bad. right? jk.

So instead of wasting a bunch of time chasing down wires, does anybody have anything useful? Thanks

Griff
Griff,
That is going to be a hard one. They did not start producing manuals until around 1964. IIRC there was a piece of paper glued to the inside of one of the cabinet doors with a schematic on it. Perhaps someone with a similar year and type of Airstream will be able to help you out. Member 47WeeWind would be my first choice as the goto guy on that one.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffinia
Hello,

Griff
Hello Griff - congrats on your new AS! A very cool year, is your a CA or OH unit? There is a thread here for Flying Clouds. Use the search function and you will get close to where you want to be. Records from AS prior to 1965 are almost impossible, but there are several people out here in the forum who have been where you are right now. Welcome to the group!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
diagram & info

maybe this will help?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1963 Safari Airstream Wiring Questions.pdf (952.6 KB, 260 views)
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #7

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Issaquah , Washington
Everybody,

Thanks for your help. I'm looking for a total rewire. The interior of the trailer was pretty trashed and modified over the past 50 years, so we were looking for more of a modern upgrade than a restoration. I think a total rewire is in order after looking at some of the previous work. If I'm going with a total rewire, I think a modern wiring diagram would work???

We're looking to use this as our ski trailer. We live about 30 minutes from three awesome resorts that have 30amp hookups for trailers. The upgrade would consist of all new plumbing with heated/insulated tanks, new furnace, retro aluminum shelving for storage, a 12v system with solar recharge capability, body repair, and other misc. stuff. We're looking to keep with the mid-century modern theme of the airstream, while having all of the modern conveniences (we don't want to freeze either).

Rick and Sandi, it is a California model.

Thanks for your help everybody.

Griff
griffinia is offline   Reply With Quote