Old 08-04-2003, 01:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Oldsmar , All over
wireless internet

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to hookup for internet services while travelling. I have started a graduate program and need access 5 days /wk. Please I need help. I'm a novice at this. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2003, 10:27 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If there is not a phone connection (landline) or cell signal, then satillite might be your only option. If however there is a land line that you can use, then get a wireless base station and a 802.11 card (any flavor to match the base station) and surf to your hearts content. The Apple base station has a modem built in, not sure if there is a PC counterpart. With a land line, and a base station with modem, you could be up to 250' away from the phone line. I will say however that the Airstream does reduce the signal strength a fair amount. If you go straight 802.11 you'll be far less than 250' in the Airstream. If you use the 802.11g standard, (54mb) the signals are stronger and can more easily get to the 250' being inside your Airstream. I know cause I tested it. The terrain has a lot to do with how strong the signal is farther away from the base station.....

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
the telcos are providing a wireless internet connection dont know what it cost , but it works if your in range of a cell tower. we used ours this weeken and had internet access and no cell coverage.
we were in the cumberland mountains in tennesee and it was spotty. dont know what the cost is but try verison . lol
al
Old 08-04-2003, 01:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Eric, technically, 802.11g uses OFDM modulation instead of the DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum) scheme that 802.11b uses. OFDM (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing) handles reflections and multipath much better than DSSS, so it gives better throughput at longer distances away from the base station, with the same power levels. This stuff just keeps getting better!

One thing to beware of is this: while 802.11g is SUPPOSED to be backward compatable with 802.11b, but not all hardware is. I helped a co-worker install a 801.11g network in his house. When I did some testing with my iPaq 5450 it would not access the system. I thought something was wrong with my hand held, but it worked back home on my 802.11b network, which was the same vendor, (Stinksys) as his equipment. Later I found some postings on the brighthand.com forums that indicated others were having compatability problems with Stinksys 802.11g AP's.

Actual throughput on 801.11b is 5.9 mbits/sec and 801.11g is actually 24.4 mbits/sec, with 30.5 mbits/sec overhead.

KOA is supposed to be rolling out 802.11b wireless internet at some locations starting this year.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
lmbando, what you need depends on where you'll be.

Near metro areas: try Verizon's CDMA1x data service. You'll need a compatible mobile phone and a "connection kit" available from Verizon. I've used this and it works well. Unlimited use is $99 per month. You'll get 30-60 kbps most of the time, about the same as a dial-up modem.

In some campgrounds: 802.11 is available but very very spotty. You'll have to pick your sites carefully and even then probably won't be able to get service most places. "Modem-friendly" campgrounds that support dial-up are more common right now.

Everywhere else: satellite is your backup option, but expensive. You'll need a fancy two-way (upload and download) system.

That's pretty much it for wireless options in your travel trailer. But what about just hitting cybercafes? They are widely available in cities and even some small towns. At $1-2 per hour, they are a bargain for getting email and doing online research -- plus you can often get a nice bakery goodie and coffee.

-- RL
Old 08-04-2003, 08:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Check out direct way ?? IT is internet via sattalite. it is offered by direct tv. I don't know much about it but hey I am still on dial up.

Tim
Old 08-10-2003, 05:02 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Oldsmar , All over
wireless internet

Thanks everyone for your advice. I ended up with Verizon Express. It's pricey but I have unlimited access which I need. Otherwise my hisband and I would have to stay home and miss our AS and that would be devastating to us both. Thanks again
Old 08-28-2003, 08:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We use a combination of three internet access methods while we travel.

1. T-Mobile hotspots - WiFi at Starbucks, Borders,... high speed, check mail and browse while drinking coffee. Lots of new places coming on line. Used T-Mobile in Europe too. $29.95/month unlimited

2. T-Mobile wireless - GPRS/GSM using a Sierra 750 card - works anywhere T-Mobile cell phone will work, equiv. speeds to dial-up (up to 56 kbps). PCMCIA card with small antenna in side of notebook. Using it tonite in our AS in the San Diego KOA. $29.95/mon unlimited or $19.95/mon if you have a T-Mobile cell phone.

A key wireless criteria was the unlimited access. Have a friend who ran up a $150/mon bill with Verizon wireless data access.

3. Earthlink dial-in - $17.95/mon unlimited, which provides our email addresses, mail server, and access when wireless isn;t available.

Seems to answer our needs.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 06:41 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
[B]Eric, technically, 802.11g uses OFDM modulation instead of the DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum) scheme that 802.11b uses. OFDM (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing) handles reflections and multipath much better than DSSS, so it gives better throughput at longer distances away from the base station, with the same power levels. This stuff just keeps getting better!

One thing to beware of is this: while 802.11g is SUPPOSED to be backward compatable with 802.11b, but not all hardware is. I helped a co-worker install a 801.11g network in his house. When I did some testing with my iPaq 5450 it would not access the system. I thought something was wrong with my hand held, but it worked back home on my 802.11b network, which was the same vendor, (Stinksys) as his equipment. Later I found some postings on the brighthand.com forums that indicated others were having compatability problems with Stinksys 802.11g AP's.

Actual throughput on 801.11b is 5.9 mbits/sec and 801.11g is actually 24.4 mbits/sec, with 30.5 mbits/sec overhead.
/B]
Cool...thanks for the tech info on the specs....

.11g is a wicked little beast. I have the 17" Powerbook and I have the .11g at home runing g exclusivly. The Airport Base Station has a check box on the config to allow standard .11b to talk to it and the new 54mbs standard at the same time. Problem is that if you go dual standard with it, the performance goes south a bit. So far the .11g works in the Apple world down to the oldest iBooks I have which are iBook/466 "Clamshells"(about 3 years old with some on the old b standard and some newer ones on the g standard).

Ever since going to OSX, wireless is a total breeze. I have 5 schools that I have wireless carts. I have 10 iBooks per bases station. Even with the old standards, users have to really watch closely to realize they are on wireless.

Wireless is really starting to hit the mainstream.... the problem is that few folks configure it. They plug it in, get a DHCP IP address and off they go. The issue (not for me) is that they don't lock the darn thing down. I can walk through my neighborhood and grab free surf time on at least 80% of the folks out there running wireless. Those same folks have filesharing turned on too with NO passwords, so I then have free access to their machines too from out front on the curb!

Word to the wise, secure your wireless.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, but don't burn yourself.....

BTW, Stinksys was bought out by Cisco a few months ago....hopefully Cisco will tweak it with the rest of the technology they **bought** and not keep it as such a consumer POS...

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
It's the coming thing

I am sitting here in Haven's Landing RV park in Montgomery, TX posting this through my new wi-fi adapter. They have 2 AP antennas in the park and the performance here is fine.

All of the Flying J locations now have wi-fi and most larger RV parks have it or soon will have it because itv is becoming part of the rating system for parks.

At elast, I won't have piles of emails waiting for me when I get home.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 12:10 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Hi John and Linda

I, too, am studying for my MBA on line. During a recent three week trip to Maine, I plugged in whenever I could though doing most of my work offline. I was able to "plug in" at Koa campgrounds.

In Maine, I wandered into a couple of small stores, explained my problem ( I think they didn't believe that at almost 66 I would be in graduate school) and for a gratuity of 5 or 10 bucks, I used their computer to access the school to post homework or participate in on line discussions. Also, libraries usually have internet facilities that you can use do this work. I used the library computers in Ellsworth Maine.

Regards, Ed