Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Winegard 12volt outlet to small

Greetings.

I have an unusual problem: the 12 volt plug (female) in my coach is to small. This is the wall plate located by the bed, and has a small on/off button, and a male coax threaded connector.

By to small, I mean I have tried to plug in a few diefferent 12 volt devices into this recepticle, but the damn opening is just to tight. If I really force it in, I get power.

At first I thought that it is a different kind of power supply coming from there. I even tried sanding down one of my plugs, until I realized how rediculous that was.

I called Winegard. They acknowledge there is a problem with these 12volt outlets, and advised me to go to Radio Shack to get some kind of adapter. I then advised them to take care of the problem, and that I wanted a replacement. i was told that that would cost 25.00.

You gotta love customer service. It's no wonder people buy foreign products.

Anyone else have a simular problem?

Jonathan
Old 06-25-2005, 09:53 AM   #2
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Update: Jim from Winegard called late yesterday and he is sending me a socket plate thing that was manufactured in China. Apparently the ones they manufactured here in the states have a slighly smaller diameter outlet opening, thus the problem with tight fit.

A nice guy to talk with and best of all he is sending one out to me free...

Jonathan
Old 06-25-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lev,

Love them goggles on your avatar...

I, too, experienced the same problem as you. I was told "don't use it". I hard-wired in a plug on a pigtail. Problem solved.

No, not a glamorous solution. My first Winegard outlet broke from me forcing it and A/S sent me a new one (albeit with the same problem)...
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v