Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
Why so much HEAT? Univolt?

Is it normal to have so much heat up front near the univolt? Is there a way to vent it? (REALLY PUTTING OUT HEAT)
We live in the camper, it is running on a 30 amp separate breaker.
The battery box's are both broke and we couldn't get them in proper without hitting and bulging the interior trim so we removed them. Did we mess up? Problem is we sat them on the ground about a week ago. Prior to our living in it the PO bought it from someone who also lived in it. We did not think they were any good - But should they be put back or buy new ones
Why so much heat? If I close the tambour to block it out I worry it may do damage to the Satellite box and Other electronics.
Any advise to things we should do with this or any other items since we are living in it are welcome.
netlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
Anybody? We just hooked the old batteries back up. Did we do the correct thing?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If the batteries are no good, the converter will be working all-out to charge them, which will never happen. The higher the load, the more heat buildup.
In a perfect world, I'd suggest getting a new converter, like an Intellipower or Parallax, and a pair of new batteries. Since it's not a perfect world, and cost may be a consideration, maybe a new converter and a single, inexpensive battery (isolate the connection to the sercond until you can get a pair of better batteries).
Old 08-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Univolt Heat

First determine if the batteries are any good.
1. To do this disconnect them from the trailer battery cables.
2. Connect them to a battery charger.
3. Let them charge for at least 24 hours.
4. Remove the battery charger (unplug from wall before removing charging cables from batery terminals).
5. Measure the voltage across the terminals. It should be at least 13 volts. If not 13 volts but lets say 10 or 9 volts the battery is bad.
6. Let the batteries set for three days.
7. Measure the voltage. It should be at lease 12.75 volts. If it is less than 12.75 lets say 10 or 8 the battery is bad.
If the battery is bad this is what has been causing the heat. The univolt has been charging the battery trying to bring it back up to 13.25 or so and has been charging at the full charge rate (40 amps or so).
But there is a more important issue here. When a battery charges or discharges it produces Hydrogen Gas (remember the Hindenburg?). If you have the battery inside the trailer while charging and discharging this gas has been collecting in the trailer. Stop immediately. Disconnect the battery. This is why all battery boxes are supposed to sealed off from inside the coach and open to the outside air (vented). If you are going to have a battery in the trailer, it will work fine without it, you must reinstall a battery box of some sort and vent it to the outside air.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
The batteries may not even be the issue. Have the batteries load tested at a local auto parts store like napa to determine if they are good or bad- no sense replacing them if they are good. Once the battery status is determined, hook them back up to the univolt and check what the univolt is putting out to the batteries with a volt meter to make sure it is not overcharging the batteries. If it is than I would say the univolt is faulty. Another thing to look at is that there are three wires coming out of the univolt on th d/c side- a ground, battery charge wire, and a load wire. If you are using a lot of the d/c system in your trailer all at once than the converter is going to put out more heat because it is working on overdrive. When connected to shore power the univolt is not only maintainig and charging the batteries but it is also putting out the power through the load line for the emenities that run off the d/c system.
nate3172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
In my own AS, a '71, the Univolt had actually scorched the bulkhead next to it.
They really are a pile of junk, as soon as you can, get a decent 3-stage charger. Your batts will last longer, and you will have peace of mind.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
This camper is docked and hooked to a sewer and water line. It is like a home. Can the batteries be left out? Will that hurt anything? Both battery box's are shot. Now I am worried about my health. I already have MS. Brain tumor and a spinal leak that they cant find. I dont want to get any sicker. What is the best way to hook this up? With or without batteries? If it was your's how would you procede?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
I don't see any harm in leaving the batteries out. Once you disconnect from shore power you will not have so much as a light but if that is no issue than I would just disconnect them and tape off the electrical ends. The dc system should still operate through the load wire.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
Is there a way to just convert the power without it trying to charge the batteries? what will the "Intellipower or Parallax" do that is different to whatever I have now.
Sorry but I only know girl things
Old 08-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
netlace, do you lose any of your electrical emenities like lights or anything when you un hook the batteries?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate3172 View Post
netlace, do you lose any of your electrical emenities like lights or anything when you un hook the batteries?
No- Everything works.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
Than like I said, the univolt is still producing 12 volt dc current and is supplying it to the trailers dc system through the load wire not the charge wire for the batteries. Nothing to convert. just tape off the cable ends that connect to the batteries and you are all good.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
Thanks for your help. I just wish it was not so warm! I Still wish to vent it somehow. I was worried that by having the batteries out I was wearing out the system. We will remove them again tomorrow. I dont want any fumes. It actually seems cooler with them in tho! Thank you nate (and everyone) for your time in posting me.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I'll be coming up to see Cecil in a couple of days. Haven't called him yet to set up time. I can bring my battery tester. This way we'll know where to start. BTW, Tami wants to keep the sink covers from the Tradewind.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
I'll be coming up to see Cecil in a couple of days. Haven't called him yet to set up time. I can bring my battery tester. This way we'll know where to start. BTW, Tami wants to keep the sink covers from the Tradewind.
Ricky
Should I leave the batteries in for now? They may charge but I doubt it. They are dated 12/9 , must be 10 years old. It is so hot my face actually beads with sweat when sitting close. The air works good-its just the front is so hot. Email me when you are coming. I have a MRI on the 12th and another appt the 13th. Thanks for letting me know about the sink covers. The gouchos wont gain us back our floor space so I quess we wont need them. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I would be amazed if a 10 yr old battery holds a charge. They would need to be put on a charger before testing. You should put them on the night before my arrival. I still have your number & will call you after talking to Cecil as to my arrival.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Why so much heat

Gofor the root cause.
Determine whether the batteries are good or bad.
As I iluded to. the Univole will work without the batteries.
As stated in other posts a newer converter (with three stage charging capability) will work so much better.
Batteries must be vented to the outside.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I suggested a single (cheap) replacement battery in case the power goes out you will still have lights, maybe a vent fan, and power for the circuit board on the fridge, if equipped. Your local battery shop may have a "blem" battery for not much money.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
Well the above was a no show! Not even a phone call. Said he would be here at 10:00
We ended up leaving the batterys in because they were going to be checked. I have been getting very sick. My breath even has a chemical smell. Headache, nausea, sore throut. Achy body. We bought new batterys and installed them. Made airtight boxes. We opened the windows last night and I felt better. I have enhanced sence of smell. The front is still emitting an gaseous odor. Will it take time to loose the odor from the bad batteries we replaced or do we have a deeper issue? Univolt or converter problems?
My husband covered the back of the trailer with a tarp a couple of weeks ago and covered the vent for the sewer. I can smell that too. It is uncovered now. I think he is trying to kill me :-)
Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #20
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
rotten egg smell?

if the charger is overcharging the batteries, and especially if the batteries are "sealed" or "maintenance free" then you may have a VERY LARGE PROBLEM. DANGER! A sealed battery can explode if subjected to constant overcharging. The heat you describe is also a symptom of overcharging.
PLEASE, PLEASE have a battery knowledgeable person check out that system. a rotten egg smell is another sign of overcharging. please have the system checked out.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote