Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
if the charger is overcharging the batteries, and especially if the batteries are "sealed" or "maintenance free" then you may have a VERY LARGE PROBLEM. DANGER! A sealed battery can explode if subjected to constant overcharging. The heat you describe is also a symptom of overcharging.
PLEASE, PLEASE have a battery knowledgeable person check out that system. a rotten egg smell is another sign of overcharging. please have the system checked out.
We have lived in this camper since end of june. I am already sick but I have been extremely sick since the last two weeks. My daughter can smell it too. It is up front and there is much heat. I know nothing about this stuff. We do have all the electronics up there. During the day only the computer is on. Even before we put the electronics in it was very warm. The new batteries are rv/marine type. The smell is like a chemical gas, very light oder and gives me a sore throat. Another thing is my husband had covered the sewer vent because we had a bad leak. It is now uncovered. How long for the fumes to get out.
netlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Heat

Are the batteries still hooked up to the univolt?
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
Are the batteries still hooked up to the univolt?
Beginner
The new batteries were installed almost 2 days. They are removed from the camper. They were nearly drained. (Well they went from good to fair) I thought they wouldnt just be there and not be discharging. How long for the fumes to disapate? We really need some help on this. But dont know who to call. We dont know how to check our selves.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you are that desperate for help, I suggest that you get in touch with a reliable RV dealer near you. The only Airstream dealer in TN is in Johnson City, which is a long hike from you.

Ask your friends who to use. Surely someone you know has used somebody trustworthy nearby?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it will be hard to deterning how long the smell will last. i would try wiping down surfaces with a damp cloth. if the batteries are being overcharged, the smell will continue at least until they stop being overcharged.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
We have removed the batteries. I know it is still toxic because of my keen scent of smell and sore throat. We have a worse problem now, or at least a known problem. My husband borrowed some sort of detector from work and it would not pick up any thing from the front where it is to me toxic. It did get extremely high levels of methane coming out the sink and tub. This camper is killing me. We have the vents and exhaust on and have filled the sink and tub with water. I dont know why it is not venting. We left the vent that was in the camper and ran it to the toilet pipe and then to the original drain and out to the septic. Somehow it is not working.
Is there any type of detector for the battery/univolt problem? Also how can we better vent this bath? If anybody lives near nashville and north of it I would pay for some help.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i think what you smell is sulfuric acid. i don't know of any such tester but maybe others do. the fans can easily draw the fumes inside. do you have the fans blowing in or out?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Heat

This is pure logic.
If the batteries were installed two days ago and half the water is missing then they were boiled by the Univolt.
End of logic.
To verify this measure the voltage across the now disconnected battery terminals. It should not be over 14.25 volts DC.
I strongly suspect it will be.
If it is 14.25 or higher the univolt is bad and given your admission of not being "handy" means you will have to take it to a RV dealer for further diagnosis. If I were close (Norfolk VA) I would be happy to come help.
As for the contamination in the coach, a wet rag will dilute and remove the acid and its odor so start wiping, Fabrise (yea, I know it’s misspelled) might help. Open the windows and air it out.
Later, measure the voltage of the battery. It will probably be less than 12.5 volts.
Lastly, I'm sure that your husband was not trying to kill you but do the best he could with what he had after all, he was in there too.
Experience being the best teacher (embarrassment) he probably won’t be covering up the holding tank vents with a tarp again. (Three greatest teaching aids are embarrassment, peer pressure and repetition)
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #29
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you were getting fumes from your sink and tub, the p-traps were dry. Water sits in the traps under these items to block any gases from entering the trailer from the tank. The water will evaporate after a while. All you need to do is pour a few cups of water down each drain to prevent this from happening.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
The vent in the bathroom was clogged. My husband vacuumed it out and he could then almost feel and smell the fumes going out. His tester borrowed from the citys gas dept. As far as the front goes, I will start cleaning and see if that helps. I hate we wasted 200$ on batteries. Cant afford it.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by netlace View Post
The vent in the bathroom was clogged. My husband vacuumed it out and he could then almost feel and smell the fumes going out. His tester borrowed from the citys gas dept. As far as the front goes, I will start cleaning and see if that helps. I hate we wasted 200$ on batteries. Cant afford it.
Edit to above
His tester borrowed from the citys gas dept. Showed clean after he cleared the vent!