Old 11-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Why is my right tail light on?

Okay. Bizarre-o world here. 2014 27FB Eddie Bauer
Last night, I looked out at BB and noticed the right taillight was lit. Not a full power light by any stretch. In fact, in daylight today, I can not detect any light coming from the LEDs even with hands cupped around it. The taillight stayed lit with shore power and without. Run and store mode.
This morning I pulled the bed all apart to access the trailer lights panel.
Making the assumptions:
Blue=electric brakes
Green=tail lights/running lights
Brown =right signal
Red = left signal
Yellow = aux (the yellow comes to the lights panel, but nothing is connected to it)
I've done the following troubleshooting after disconnecting shore power:
Checked voltage potential from +ve bus to blue (13.2V), green (13.2V), brown(9.72V), red(9.81V), yellow (6.83V)
Checked voltage potential from -ve bus to blue (0V), green (0V), brown (3.39V), Red (0.15V), Yellow (4.75V)
Checked continuity between +ve bus and blue, green, brown, red, yellow: all 0Ω
Checked continuity between -ve bus and blue (1.5Ω), green (0.71Ω), brown red yellow all 0Ω

So. This really doesn't make sense to me. My limited experience with trailer lights wiring is that it is generally a troubleshooting nightmare, that if one of the positive wires is shorting to ground, I lose lights. What's happened here?

What else is different? Last week I removed the batteries from the a frame, installed AGM under the bed. Installed a small 300W inverter, bogart solar controller, and trimetric monitor.
With the trailer unplugged and in store mode the trimetric bounces between 0 and 0.1A.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Remove the light and ck the ground....as my Dad used to ask me...."what did it do before you fixed it?"

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
I don't understand?
Old 11-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Do you tow with a Propride Hitch and use an 7-way plug extension?
Old 11-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
No. This is occurring with the trailer completely disconnected and parked in the driveway. I hooked the truck umbilical up and checked that all the lights worked properly from the TV
Old 11-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
I questioned it because this happened to me while unhitched. I disconnected the extension and the taillight went out. There might be a problem with your 7-way cable.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Though, when I pulled the dust cap off the plug of the trailer's umbilical connected there was ice across a couple terminals. I cleared the ice out and checked my measurements and had the same as above. Unfortunately the light is too dim to see I daylight so I'm waiting until dark to be able to do any further troubleshooting.
Just what I needed though, troubleshooting at -2 in the dark and snowing.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Glcmranger. Interesting. So, we'll see what happens when the sun goes done now the ice is off the plug
Old 11-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Remove the light and ck the ground....as my Dad used to ask me...."what did it do before you fixed it?"

Bob

Ah. How does one remove the light. I see a couple screws on the side of the housing, do I have to pull the whole housing off and then reseal everything to do this? It would be a weird test though, because the light clearly has both power and ground, so checking that would yield positive results to both. It's how the heck it's getting power in the first place that's got me scratching my head?
Old 11-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
I suspect moisture has gotten down in your 7-way plug. Try a blow dryer?
Old 11-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
I suspect moisture has gotten down in your 7-way plug. Try a blow dryer?

I’ll try that tonight if the light is still one. Definitely moisture in the plug end, i had to pick the ice out with a screwdriver before connecting to the truck. And this makes sense. Moisture would bridge the black power lead and the brown lamp lead and allow current to flow from the battery. And the relatively poor conductivity could explain why the illumination is so low.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbandeddie View Post
Ah. How does one remove the light. I see a couple screws on the side of the housing, do I have to pull the whole housing off and then reseal everything to do this? It would be a weird test though, because the light clearly has both power and ground, so checking that would yield positive results to both. It's how the heck it's getting power in the first place that's got me scratching my head?
Here is a post showing the clips on the new style lens. Ck entire thread for more info.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbandeddie View Post
. . .
Definitely moisture in the plug end, i had to pick the ice out with a screwdriver before connecting to the truck
. . .
Poor storage technique IMO. The plug end should hang down so water cannot get into the electrical pins etc.. We drape ours over the tongue frame aft of the propane tank cover, with the connector pointing down. Gravity does the rest . . .

Old 11-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Poor storage technique IMO. The plug end should hang down so water cannot get into the electrical pins etc.. We drape ours over the tongue frame aft of the propane tank cover, with the connector pointing down. Gravity does the rest . . .

Well..... I had just received a dust cap from amazon. Installed it Thursday. It is pretty tight fitting and rubber. I got this specifically to keep the plug end clean. Apparently while tight on and off, it is not tight enough to seal against rain and snow.