Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Full-timer

1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
Whole-house surge suppressor?

Hi y'all:

I live full-time in my '71 Overlander International 27-footer way out in the sticks, currently on shore power via a 100-foot fat dropcord. I've experienced some electrical issues lately, possibly related to surge.

I lost a 2-week-old Parallax 4455-TC converter. I didn't think that this was due to surge, since I keep a PC running 24/7 on the same circuit and never had glitches. But then the motherboard in the PC went T.U., and so I'm beginning to think that perhaps my shore power is not as steady as I'd presumed. No bulbs or fuses blowing, just these two problems so far.

Question: Would it be reasonable to install a surge suppressor in-line with shore power? If so, what kind, and where? I wouldn't mind doing a bit of wiring to install it up or downstream of the 110 panel, but had just as soon simply sandwich one between the hookup connections if that'll work as well.

Any advice, criticism or loveletters appreciated. Thanks.

Ted Foureagles

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Ems

I have the progressive industries ems installed in my unit. It is the best thing that I have come up with to moniter the health of the power coming into the trailer. You can find information on it here:

Progressive Industries is committed to making the RV experience easier

Good luck

Mark
Old 10-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Surge

I use a product simular too Mark and a Hugh's AutoFormer.
You really should up-grade your power sourse along with the protecter. You don't need the Autoformer until you up-grade as it is too protect the AC.

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
First thing should be establishing that the circuit you tied into is wired with a heavy enough gauge wire; all its connections are solid; and it is not also powering massive loads along the branch circuit to leave you with just the dregs when 'indoor' appliances come on line.

If there is no other changes made upstream of your outlet it is very likely the problem will recur just when you think you can trust it.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
i use a product called "Buzz Kill".

Rally Ender
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
Thumbs up Very satisfied protection

We have used model PT30c on our 34' for about 3 years and are very pleased with its performance and that of the supplier.

Now that we fulltime, it seems to be almost a necessity.

See it at:
EMS: Protects your RV from improper electrical power. RV Surge Protection.
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foureagles
Hi y'all:

I live full-time in my '71 Overlander International 27-footer way out in the sticks, currently on shore power via a 100-foot fat dropcord. I've experienced some electrical issues lately, possibly related to surge.

I lost a 2-week-old Parallax 4455-TC converter. I didn't think that this was due to surge, since I keep a PC running 24/7 on the same circuit and never had glitches. But then the motherboard in the PC went T.U., and so I'm beginning to think that perhaps my shore power is not as steady as I'd presumed. No bulbs or fuses blowing, just these two problems so far.

Question: Would it be reasonable to install a surge suppressor in-line with shore power? If so, what kind, and where? I wouldn't mind doing a bit of wiring to install it up or downstream of the 110 panel, but had just as soon simply sandwich one between the hookup connections if that'll work as well.

Any advice, criticism or loveletters appreciated. Thanks.

Ted Foureagles
Ted,

There is an RV-specific surge supressor with line-quality diagnostics available in lots of flavors: 30 or 50 amp, and plug-in at the power post or hard wired. I have used one for 7 years and if your line polarity is incorrect, it will not pass thru the AC to ruin your electrics. It is a great surge supressor also and has a built-in time delay to analyze the line quality.

I'm on the road 'till Sunday. Let me know if you would like the product specifics, brand, #,s and MSRP. I'll post it on this thread when I have access to my catalogs.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
Full-timer

1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
Thanks folks!

I think I may go for the $80 SSP 30 Smart Surge, since my needs are minimal (no A/C, and will likely be off-grid anyway by next year -- only needing to handle emergency generator surges).

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Ted,

I'm on the road 'till Sunday. Let me know if you would like the product specifics, brand, #,s and MSRP. I'll post it on this thread when I have access to my catalogs.
There is an RV-specific surge supressor with line-quality diagnostics available in lots of flavors: 30 or 50 amp, and plug-in at the power post or hard wired. I have used one for 7 years and if your line polarity is incorrect, it will not pass thru the AC to ruin your electrics. It is a great surge supressor also and has a built-in time delay to analyze the line quality.

The company is 'TRC' and the brand is 'Surge Guard. The permant hard wire models and the portable plug-in types both have the same capacties: 50 amp protects to 1750 joules with MSRP of $380 for hard wire and $475 for plug-in, and 30 amp protects to 1050 joules with MSRP of $274 for hard-wire and $333 for plug-in.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Ems

At the Sarasota Rally I had Dave at VIP Interprises install a surge protector and monitor from Progressive Industries into the AS 50amp model HW50C. It has a read out for the 2 lines amps, etc. website is recreational vehicle parts, recreational vehicle accessories,Rv,VIP SENSITOR,VIP TOW BRAKE
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote