Old 03-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Which wires are these?

Hey there,

I'm drying up the new to me Excella, and removing the moldy padded vinyl upholstery on the upper walls and ceilings. This helps me see the many leak locations from the inside, as the water has made tracks in the foam. But what does this have to do with electrical?

I removed the plastic cover off the A/C unit, so I could cut the vinyl padding out around it. Then I discover this:

Two pairs of wires came falling down. One pair is Brown/White, the other pair is Red/White. Here's another look:

I have not found the right answer in my Owner's Manual, so I'm asking the collective Guru: What were these wires intended for?

And here's a bonus question/warning. I'm removing the ceiling light fixtures so I can take out that padded vinyl fungus farm... -I mean upholstery. Here's what it looked like under one of them:

That shows the reckless stupidity of upholstering a coach -floor and ceiling- before any of the interior gets installed on top of the upholstery. One of the bulbs in this fixture is placed slightly closer to the ceiling, and it darn near ignited the plastic. So pardon me if I ask a general Airstream Quality Question: How can such a brilliant basic design be produced in such a boneheaded manner?

The bad thing here is that my trailer appears to have been built by baboons on crack. The good thing is that almost any human can improve upon the work and feel like a master craftsman.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0588.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	124071   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0587.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	124072  

Name:	DSCN0589.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	124073  

Old 03-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Wild guess: one pair is the power for the air conditioner, and the other is the power for the heat strip.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
As far as the light problem, what watt bulb was installed? Your trailer is a 94 so somewhere down the line that bulb could have been replaced with too high of a wattage one. Also your comment about babboons on crack was way out of line. At the very least it could be considered insulting or even racial. zz
Old 03-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Oops... 12 posts and I already upset someone. But rest assured ZZ, I'm an equal opportunity offender, and no racism was intended. I was just feeling a little underwhelmed by the build quality in my coach at that moment. Thanks for the tip on the bulb. I'll check and update.

@jammer: The blower seems to work, and I guess it's time to really run the A/C to see if all of it works. I'll have to study what a heat strip is.

Either way: When you find clipped wires in any vehicle you just bought, it's usually not good news.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
leo , Indiana
Are you kidding me?

I didn't know baboons were a minority group or that crackheads were sensitive about anything . LMAO. There was nothing out of line about your comments how they could be construed as racist or offensive is beyond me.
On topic, good luck with your project, my 98 Excella is at P & S trailer service in OH getting a light restoration. Laminate floors and some exterior work. I can assure you Kevin and Steve are not Baboons nor on crack hahaha.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Some A/C units had a built-in heater element . Mine does, but Ive never used it.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Which wires are these?

Just a thought, if the air conditioner is a replacement, it may be that the wires were for the wall-mounted thermostat and weren't utilized with the new air conditioner unit.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Update: I ran the A/C and it seems to work properly. It might be low on refrigerant, and that's another project for another day. The optional heater element works well, and I'm beginning to think that those 4 wires used to lead to the wall thermostat which didn't seem to affect anything today.

Now to the light fixture affair: Both bulbs were functional and looked identical (I couldn't read any wattage rating on them), but the glass on one of them looked a bit charred.

My iphone isn't exactly the greatest close-up camera, but I hope it shows how the bulbs are different on the glass side, and covered in some gunk at the terminal side. Is this normal, or evidence of water in the fixture?

In either case, I shall get the proper rating bulbs for the whole trailer and inspect all the lights. And that foam/vinyl combo is a goner from my trailer.

Thanks for the guidance guys!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	124133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	124134  

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	124135  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Calling someone a babboon without knowing their race or a crackhead without knowing them personally is just not right. Seems we had this discussion a long while back about AS employees and some people were offended. Last on this subject, nothing against you personally it may just be cultural, generational thing. That one bulb sure looks funky, burned out? Maybe it got damp and shorted and caused the dark spot. Bears kooking into, we don't need any fires. Good luck. zz
Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Incandescent bulbs will develop a black coating on the inside of the glass with use as particles from the filament vaporize and condense on the glass. The effect is more visible on clear bulbs, and on bulbs with small envelopes.

I would suggest replacement of all the readily accessible interior bulbs since they are inexpensive and fairly short lived.

There is a list of bulbs that will fit, with wattages, sizes, and recommendations, in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...lbs-74632.html

Also, you may wish to check the sockets for corrosion and clean them with a wire brush or emery cloth if necessary.

Tags
mystery