Old 08-25-2003, 08:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Where's the wires?

OK - here's a challenging one for the group. I decided last weekend to upgrade the stereo that's mounted over the sofa in my 1987 25' Airstream.

When I removed the old stereo, I found two sets of wires attached to both the left and right channels of the old radio. So apparently, when they pre-wired my trailer at the factory they provided for a four speaker system. Now there are two speakers up front, on either side of the sofa, but where are the other speakers supposed to go?

I hooked the new radio up to the mystery wires, hoping that music would magically start coming from the rear of the trailer, but no such luck. So my question is, where do these wires go?

This is a rear bath model, with a side dinette. I've looked in every cabinet, closet, drawer and compartment I can think of and don't see any wires that would appear to be speaker wires. I would think the most likely place to add these speakers would be on the wall that separates the bath - just above the kitchen sink and just above the dinette repectively. But no wires to be found.

Has anyone seen a model like mine that had four speakers and if so, where where the rear ones mounted? I can't imagine they would go to the trouble of putting the wires in without running them all the way to their final destination.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-25-2003, 08:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
[
Quote:
I would think the most likely place to add these speakers would be on the wall that separates the bath - just above the kitchen sink and just above the dinette repectively. But no wires to be found.
HP9K,

The rear bath model we used to have, had the speakers located in the front area. Two near the couch and the other two in the kitchen area as you have described.

I've found in my experience that most of the wiring runs directly overhead behind the center panel in the ceiling. I can't say for sure that the speaker wires would be the same but that might be a place to look.

Perhaps some one else may know!

Andy are you listening?

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
On mine I have the 4 speakers. 71 with rear bath.
Two in the front and the other two ,one over each bed on the rear wall. (ie wall between bath and bed room).

Garry
Old 08-26-2003, 06:48 AM   #4
Site Team

, Minnesota
Wires

Check around the outside? My '59 had "external" speakers. I guess so that you could sit outside and listen to a ballgame.
They weren't factory original.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the ideas - I will drop the A/C cover and see if I can find any wires hiding in the center of the ceiling. And I will check in the outside compartments in case there are wires there.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Does anyone know where the speaker wires are on the 76 rear bath. I took out the plug by the refer to hook up the power for the refer fan and found a bunch of wires, there was a black set that must have been the old antenae lead and two sets that are yellow, one of them has the fork ends on it, I noticed that there were more screw holes than were used by the plate so I guess there must have been something there for the radio set up.