Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I got one of these:

SGP SuperGen Tent XL - Product Details

It does also reduce noise quite a bit.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
This hasn't yet been a problem for me, but what are picnic tables for anyway? A picnic table with a plastic table cloth would seem to be an effective and inexpensive answer to this problem.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
South Western , Pennsylvania
Hey 07007,
Check this out GenTent canopy cover to run portable generator or inverter generator safely in rain and severe wet weather
Saw this in the July 2015 issue of Trailer Life pg. 121 under product spotlight.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
For what these tents cost, I'm liking the plastic covered picnic table idea.
But whats the harm in using a completely plastic encased honda in the rain? Water in the air intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLee View Post
For what these tents cost, I'm liking the plastic covered picnic table idea.
But whats the harm in using a completely plastic encased honda in the rain? Water in the air intake?

We use generators at work in the rain and snow all the time. Never had a problem. Never had a problem with my Honda 3000 either. Unless the generator tips over water will never enter the intake.
bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:10 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
This is a pretty nifty idea, https://youtu.be/anxI0RSq820, and it sure is cheaper than the $150 Supergen tent.
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
protecting parallel EU2001 generators

I use a 4 ft composite folding outdoor table that I bought at BJs Wholesale Club (like COSTCO) for $30. I can't seem to upload pictures, but the table has adjustable height so it is only a few inches above the generators and offers protection from rain and night dew. With the two generators end to end they fit perfectly with just a smidge over the legs so the wind won't blow them away. I've read about people getting carbon monoxide from generators at the car races when those generators are outside the trailers but the trailers are parked too close so I always have mine ten feet away from the trailer. I use a heavy duty chain to lock them so they won't get stolen. Honda has an accessory theft proof handle too that you can install.
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
We have a 20'x8' outdoor rug that I carry in a big Eddie Bauer zipping duffle bag. The bag does double duty as a cover for the generator when it's raining. Just keep the exhaust uncovered and it works great.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
I have 2 eu2000 generators. I have used them in rain, snow, and sleet, uncovered. I have also used them when the sun is shining. Never had a problem.

Bruce
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
I have 2 eu2000 generators. I have used them in rain, snow, and sleet, uncovered. I have also used them when the sun is shining. Never had a problem.

Bruce
Same here.
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I know the title is about weather protection, and I agree that my Hondas are well protected as built....I just have a problem with my equipment sitting out in the elements....just my nature.

But, the tents do more than that...keep them better hidden....and, in the case of my SuperGen, reduce noise with panels sandwiched between the fabric. In addition, I had some leftover 1/4" Dynamat material from another project and used it in the walls of the tent as well. Reduces the noise of the already very quiet Hondas.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
My Honda 6500 owners manual is adamant about keeping it out of rain and snow. So this thread is useful.
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Camper View Post
This is a pretty nifty idea, https://youtu.be/anxI0RSq820, and it sure is cheaper than the $150 Supergen tent.
That's awesome...but I do have concerns. My research with talking to "gen tent" makers indicated there are some definite space requirements for ventilation and operating temp as it relates to coverings. That tent is definitely too small for proper operation of two 2000 watt gennies, and it doesn't look like it has a rear window???? I would definitely do some temp readings and investigate what your gennie mfr has to say about operating environment max temps.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Cover generator in rain

I use a heavy floor mat, hangs over the sides about 10 inches, use Velcro to keep it in place. And, as the sides droop a bit, the rain runs off. As my generator is near the AS, I have the electrical connection under the trailer, slightly off the ground.

Northern Tool Powerhorse 4000 ES Model# DFD4000
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:50 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just as an FYI for those who don't protect the gennie while raining. This from the owner's manual for EU2000i:

"Using a generator or electrical appliance in wet conditions, such as
rain or snow, or near a pool or sprinkler system, or when your hands
are wet, could result in electrocution. Keep the generator dry.

If the generator is stored outdoors, unprotected from the weather,
check all of the electrical components on the control panel before
each use. Moisture or ice can cause a malfunction or short circuit in
electrical components that could result in electrocution."

Old 11-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
using the generator in rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That's awesome...but I do have concerns. My research with talking to "gen tent" makers indicated there are some definite space requirements for ventilation and operating temp as it relates to coverings. That tent is definitely too small for proper operation of two 2000 watt gennies, and it doesn't look like it has a rear window???? I would definitely do some temp readings and investigate what your gennie mfr has to say about operating environment max temps.

Place a fan (plugged into the generator) inside the tent and point the fan in such a way as to move the warm air toward the opening. wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
Place a fan (plugged into the generator) inside the tent and point the fan in such a way as to move the warm air toward the opening. wolf146
If there's a mesh window in the back (can't tell if it's mesh or solid plastic), you probably don't need a fan...unless the wind is facing the tent opening and blowing the hot cooling air as well as the hot exhaust right back into the tent.

If there is no mesh in the back, a fan wil just pull that hot air from around the sides of the gennie and recirculate it back through the gennie cooling passages.

Of course, this depends on may factors: ambient temp, tent opening(s) size, tent overall size, etc.

My only reason for commenting is to encourage one to perform some experiments with a thermometer placed at the air intake end of the gennie (same end as the controls) until you are satisfied that there is no significant rise in temp in the back of the tent after prolonged use.