Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2002, 10:56 AM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Question Where should I install new batteries?

I am planning on installing up to four 6v golf cart batteries that weigh 62 lbs. each! That would add a total of 248 lbs. to my 16' trailer. Knowing little about how wieght should be distributed in the trailer, I need your advice so I can properly design the new electrical system. My goal is to have a small light weight easy to tow trailer with tons of power! She tows like a dream right now, I would hate to make any modifications that would cause her to tow poorly!

1. Location A - The easiest place to locate the batteries would be in Location A. Would this add to much weight to the tounge? I tow with a Jeep Cherokee and need to keep the tounge weight under 500 Lbs. There is also a 25 gallon white water tank in Location A that when full will weigh quite a lot! Will the combined weights overload this area?

2. Location B & C - Common sense tells me to place the batteries over the wheels (fulcrum) if I do not want to disturb the tounge weight. Is this a good idea? The batteries would most likely be mounted on Location C under the sofa/bed.

All input is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_layout.gif
Views:	376
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	73  
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Andy. STOP. DON'T. Call me at 800-8777311. Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 03:35 PM   #3
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
I called Andy @ Inlnad RV, here is what he said...

He first informed me about wiring the 6v golf cart batteries in a series to obtain the 12v stating that it was not a good idea. A better idea would be to use 12v batteries because if one fails, it will not effect the system the same. He suggested wiring as many 12v batteries together as needed. In the event one failes, the only downfall is the loss of Ampre hours and not a weak current. He compared it to a flashlight. The light can only be as strong as all the batteries put together. When the weak one dies first, the amount of juice available will effect the output.

He also stated that putting the batteries above the water tank in Location A would be nearly impossible due to the amount of shock that will constantly pressure the shelf I will have to build for them there. He suggested placing them on the floor which would be in Location C.

Good suggestions!

Thanks Andy!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Da ole guy's opinion on batteries

I am a big believer in those 6v golf cart batteries. There are several considerations when making this decision. If there is a need for just power for use, the 6volts are best. If the consideration is the total times the batteries can be recycled, the 6volt are best. If the physical size of the batteries isconsidered, 12 volt and 6 volt are the same. Batteries usually are estimated at an amp per pound and a dollar a pound. The 6volt batteries can take lots of abuse in all areas. My view to have a tremendous amount of battery power is not necessary. When moving the batteries serve no use, but are charged by the tow vehicle. The connection of 2 golt cart batteries can provide lots of amperage. Life stlye in a trailer dictates battery needs. I have 2 large 8D batteries in the diesel puller truck we use. When parked in the boonies, we use the truck batteries. If they become deleted to far to start the truck, I start the Honda gen set and connect compact battery charger . Frank