Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Union , Kentucky
Send a message via AIM to Joe1261 Send a message via Yahoo to Joe1261
Where is my Univolt??

I cant seem to find my univolt in my 73 Sovereign!!! ... Can some one please tell me where I can find it, or where it is supposed to be at?

THANK YOU

jOE
Joe1261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Joe -- Where's your battery? The wire run between the battery and Univolt needs to be as short as possible. I'd look within 3-5 feet of the battery. It may be under the gaucho or a cabinet -- often tucked into a very out of the way place. Easiest way to find it? Plug the trailer into a 110v circuit and listen quietly for the hum.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Joe,
In my 73 Sovereign it is curbside rear, just aft of the battery, and the wardrobe closet. In my limited experience most 70s models have them located somewhere in this neighborhood, but because of the wardrobe it's particularly inaccessable in the Sovereign. Mine has a little sliding access hatch in the bottom of the wardrobe which will let you get at the fuse panel.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Huuummmm.

Just follow the hum. And if you feel transendental, chant. Huuummmmmmm.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Union , Kentucky
Send a message via AIM to Joe1261 Send a message via Yahoo to Joe1261
Ok

I found the univolt. I was underneath the bath tub. I havent plugged my trailer in since I brought it back from Florida. ( I am kinda of afraid to right now). There is a closet next to the bath tub and a really small access panel. What I found was a blue box that says "Airstream Univolt" with a small panel that opens up to the fuse panel. Some of the fuses are missling and there are a few wires that just hanging there. but inorder for me to get the univolt out I think I need to remove the aft wall out from the closet. The Univolt is bolted to the floor. I think the battery box is on the curb side back aft, but when I opened it up all I can see is two small holes in the plastic. So I guess I got my work cut out for me. I am not that electricly inclined.
I found the service manual for the trailer but wouldnt you know it the only page missing is the one for the Univolt. The manual is in pretty bad shape. It is falling apart and looks like something has chewed it up. <Sigh> I will let you know once I strat doing some more digging and searching throughout the trailer.

thank you

Joe
Joe1261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Hi Joe,

More snow in NM this am.

You should be able to get the univolt out without dissassembling the cabinet, although it is tight. there are 4 bolts holding it to the floor. If yu want to test it out I would hook it back up and put a tester on it. Plenty of information on the forum on this. I have had mine limping along for years now, but if I ever take it out I will replace it will an Intellipower unit. I don't want to do the job twice. Plenty of information on this also in the forum archives. If the manual you are refering to is the owners manual, I find the service manual invaluable. They are commonly sold on Ebay. An original is better than a repro for the illustrations but other than that they are comparable. A 73 service manual is best, but most of the information transfers form one year to the next.