Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
St. Petersburg , Florida
Where can I find Electrical diagram or plan for a 1962 Tradewind?

Hi there, does anyone have or know where I can find the factory specs for the Electrical plan or diagram for a 1962 Trade Wind? Maybe it would be the same for other models, if anyone has anything I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thank you,
Mary
Mary Burris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
What are the problems you are trying to resolve?
Interior or Exterior electrical system.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
St. Petersburg , Florida
I inherited some wacky electrical from a past owner of my 62 Trade Wind. Specifically some home made connection of wires from the pantry right of the fridge going to possibly a 110 electrical plug socket that would have been from a past fridge. There was what looked like an old interior extension cord (off white in color) connecting some other wires. I had a person come over to help me 1. Gently remove the kitchen cabinets (damaged and need to be used as templates to make new), we were taking out cabinet from the bedroom forward only,trying to preserve as much of the original cabinets as possible and preparing for new floor to be intalled. The guy helping me (best friends boyfriend) did not inform me prior to cutting or removing any wire (may have been fine-but I have worked with enough contractors to know how a customer is supposed to be treated) and suddenly I saw extension cord like wiring plus a plug, the guts of the plug and the old suburban thermostat in the trash can...As a natural born worry wort and since this is all new to me I started to freak out..I now have a bundle of suspicious wires coming out of the wall to the right of the door (over where the fridge should be), one is the original cloth covered wiring..and the cloth is worn away at the opening which causes me concern for safety. I don't know where this wire is going or if it could easily be replaced (who leaves damaged wire in use?), Secondly I now have no power at the floor board to bring shore power 110 (?) as well as 12 V to where I want to install a new fridge. I certainly don't want to buy a $1000 3 way fridge and hook it to old deteriorating wire. I need qualified electrical help in a big way in St. Petersburg, FL.
I was also told my a friend and Fellow Forums member in the Gainesville area (that did some electrical and other work on my Trade Wind) that the roof top air conditioner should be on its own circuit or breaker box. Currently it is not, and is run to the same junction box where all the wires meet and go into the main power cord that plugs into my home's power source (or a campground) etc. So I think I have at least 3 issues here...
I currently have two breaker boxes, don't know the amperage of each of those boxes, I believe one provides power for the front of the trailer and one covers the back of the trailer. both are located in the rear of the Airstream in the far left cavity of the rear (plumbing) hatch above the bumper. The main power cord and the junction box where the Airconditioner and one black wire meet are located in the electrical compartment on the curbside (I hate that tiny little box, I can't even get the power cord in there and the edges are sharp). Any help, observations, insight is ALWAYS Greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I am a girl and I may use the wrong terminology on this stuff, as I don't profess to fully understand electrical but I am trying my best to learn. I respect it and want my new silver baby to be safe. (: Thank you!!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #4

1963 30' Sovereign
Oak Park , Illinois
Electric upgrade

".....and the cloth is worn away at the opening which causes me concern....." - it's a proper concern. The worn or cut insulation could be especially dangerous. Either dig deeper to install a junction box with a new extension of the line or deeper yet to pull new wires from the breaker box.
However, it sounds like the power center is a bit cobbled together also; you may need to re-think this conjunction of wiring. Consider installing a power center at this point - a 30 Amp service panel to provide branch circuits for the original circuits (forward and rear, I believe) and to provide additional branch circuits for the A/C and other items, including a separate circuit for a converter/charger.
I just bought a 1963 Sovereign that is basically intact with original electric. The circuit breakers are curbside as you described, with the power cord storage compartment beneath.
I plan to install a new power center elsewhere (possibly close to the original battery storage compartment street side) and convert the original service panel to a junction box for those two circuits, running cable creatively from the new service panel to the original breaker location and for new branch circuits.
lakelovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #5

1963 30' Sovereign
Oak Park , Illinois
I don't think there are written specs for anything before 1964. That is, unless someone has shop notes stored away.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
St. Petersburg , Florida
Hello Lakelovers, thank you for taking the time to comment on my dilemma and offer some solutions. I am meeting with an electrician this afternoon to discuss a game plan. He found a smaller 3 breaker box he thinks may work well, not sure if it is a total of 30 or 50 amp. For sure a new breaker box and relocating it; thinking about relocating to the larger cavity of the rear of the trailer under the bathroom sink, mounting on the inside of the vanity wall facing out-not that I like the idea having it so close to water lines..but talking it over with an Airstream friend there are not alot of options, a new breaker for the roof ac only, that is first goal. I have no plug right now for a fridge, so that may be on another breaker along with a convenience plug that will be above the fridge at the counter top. The rest of the trailer on the last breaker My TW doesn't have an inverter or converter, but the battery box is mounted on the exterior on the front under the window above the hitch. I do have a trinkle battery charger connected to it thru that front gaucho wall and then on the inside rear shelf behind the gaucho it sits with a plug to be plugged into the wall when the Trailer is pulled in to "shore" power...Is there any reason I need to do anything with that set up? As I am roughing in some new electrical, is there any additional plugs or junction box I should set up for anything in the future? I do want to use some solar in the future (roll out type) I hear folks speak of here on the forums, do those need electrical at all? Sorry to be so ignorant but I am a girl and I don't profess to understand electrical as well as a lot of handy guys do, that is why I am meeting with an electrician. Any further advice is appreciated.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Girls can understand electricity

Hey Mary, the only problem with being a girl is that no one thinks to include stuff like electricity in our education. They do teach us to read, therefore I'll suggest some reading material.

My husband and I found RV Electrical Systems, by Bill and Jan Moeller to be useful. They start with a chapter on basic electricity and go from there with information specific to RV's. It did seem to me, however, that the author had an axe or two to grind. You may have to read around that a bit.

You might also browse through the house wiring books they sell at Lowe's and Depot until you find one that starts out simple.

Then there's always the Google search. Start with basic electricity and build your knowledge up from there.

Yes, electricity can be dangerous. So can a pan full of hot grease when we're frying chicken. Learn the rules, treat both with respect, and they can be done safely.

Good luck!

Mimi
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Burris View Post
He found a smaller 3 breaker box he thinks may work well, not sure if it is a total of 30 or 50 amp.
Look at the plug on the shore power cord. If there are three prongs, you need 30amp. If there are four prongs you need 50amp. That much at least is simple enough.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #9

1963 30' Sovereign
Oak Park , Illinois
I'm new to the travel trailer world but have extensive experience in construction and building inspection. That doesn't help too much with the DC circuitry though. Mimi has a great point with the subject of research. I have been reading bunches about DC power, circuits, etc.
Many coaches and TT's these days seem to tend toward majority AC systems (suggested by the wealth of info I have come across in reading) and the owners install generators and inverters so the 120 volt appliances will operate.
I am tending toward more use of the 12 volt system, as I intend to mostly camp w/o hookups and understand there is a sacrifice of power in the conversion of DC to AC. So I am planning to add minimal AC (or 120V) circuits and try to maximize the use of DC (12V) power. From my reading, most of the newer coaches and TT's that use 50 Amp service panels have big air conditioning systems - usually 2 units on the roof. Most everyone else gets by with 30 Amp service panels. The big draw is the air conditioner.
If you mostly plan to use campground electrical hook ups, more AC would be to your advantage. IMHO

Tags