Old 07-14-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Question When A/S on AC, do you let the battery on ?

Hi every one;
Just a little question to well use the A/S; When you're connected on AC, do you let the switch battery in " on " position ?
May be , at first to charge the battery but i wondered if I had to let it always in charge ? May be I'm wrong or i have to do that , i don't know.
Do we have to use the univolt always ( but it become hot ) or i have to stop it sometimes and discharge the battery to charge it again and later.
I stay in the same place in a campground so no difficulties to take the AC;

thank you for your future advices.

Bruno;

Old 07-18-2003, 02:22 PM   #2
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
NO advices???

No advices to this subject, I'm waiting what to do;

Bruno;

Old 07-18-2003, 02:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
AC use

I was waiting for a vintage owner to reply, but I'll give it a shot.

I leave the battery switch on if I am on AC for a few days, but I would turn it off if connected to AC for a long period. Since I usually have a cat in the trailer, the battery being on will run the thermostat-controlled Fantastic Fans if the AC power should fail and keep the trailer from getting too hot. I turn the battery off only when the trailer is stored without power.

It should be OK to leave the Univolt on; if it is working corrctly, it shouldn't get too hot. You need the Univolt to provide 12v for most lights, water pump, etc.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 06:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
My '72 does not have a battery switch. Right now it is parked in the back yard with the AC power on. I have a fantastic fan on thermostat with the bath window open. During rainy weather or cool days when I know the fan will be off, I disconnect the AC for a day or so, and leave it off until it gets warmer and the Fantastic Fan begins to run again, then I switch power back on to the Univolt.

I check the battery once a month. I must have a good Univolt, because my battery does not seem to use much water, about 8 oz. a year. It is a Trojan 30XHS, and I have a spare Exide 95 AH deep cycle.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 11:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Hello Bruno,

I have asked similar questions and was not satisfied with answers.

My manual (1987) says - " Plugging the trailer into 120 volt city power with master switch off will blow radio fuses and may damage other 12 volt components. The master switch is meant to be used when storing the vehicle for long periods of time."

Also, "The charging circuit automatically controls the current, reducing it as the battery increases in charge."

Also, " This switch should only be used when storing or servicing the trailer."

I don't like to leave my trailer hooked up to 120 volt city power all the time due to univolt being on. I hook it up at least one or two days each week and run a dehumidifier if needed(don't have a fantastic fan).
Old 10-31-2003, 09:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Wink

If you turn the 12 volt kill switch off for a length of time while plugged into A/C power, the least you will do is blow the 30 amp fuse on the power converter. Not recomended.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
univolt

Don't know about the new units but on the older ones they (univolt) tend to overcharge the battery when the ac is pluged in for extended periods of time. On mine (1969) I installed a disconnect switch on the positive side of the battery wire that stops the univolt from charging when on AC, I let it charge for a few hours a day when camping and on ac. Also when I leave the A/S in storage I use the cutoff switch to keep someone from activating the front power jack.

Hope this helps

Garry
Old 11-02-2003, 02:09 AM   #8
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
battery out of shape

Hi garry;
I agree with you and now, I've installed again the switch on the battery to disconnect it. I've found this switch box when I've cleaned the battery compartment; May be the genuine switch.
So before, the wire was directly connected to the Univolt, by the prior A/S owners, and the battery was so charged than it was out of shape, may be because it was warmed too long time.

Now, I let a few time to charge the battery and I disconnect when I'm on A/C. And all is right

Bruno;
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 04:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
I don't think I have a cut off switch, or I have never found it. My batt is alway connected to the coach. I discovered on my 76 Overlander the univolt has a power cord that can be unpluged. It's under and to the rear of the kitchen sink. Plugs into a regular outlet under there. If the coach is in storage for the winter I would remove the batt, clean and store indoors.

Good Luck,
Brian