Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
jemison , Alabama
What to do.

I am gutting my airstream and there is the original univolt system and the 30 amp ac is still there too. What I need to know is if an 1974 univolt should be kept or should I get a new system. I plan on using alot of chrismas lights so I want to know if the existing system can use that much power. I will be setting this up in a trailer park and don't plan on towing it around. If the univolt setup is too outdated than I don't mind seting up a new system. Any ideas? Thanks!
rama777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Your original Univolt will probably run the Christmas lights okay. But for the sake of your battery's health, I recommend you giving heavy thought to replacing the Univolt with a late-model equivalent.

I kept my Univolt in service for the first two years of camping since it still worked, so I appreciate your thoughts about keeping it. But I finally decided to update it with a WFCO unit from Overlander 68's site www.bestconverter.com & have not regretted the decision at all. There are a few more details about my decision & charger choice at my web site (link in my signature) if it would help.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
If you're truly gutting it, then now is the time to update the systems.
Replace a thirty year old univolt? Ya think?
I gutted my '73 Sovereign and scrapped it all. Took the interior to the local landfill and deposited over 1400 lbs of Beatrice interior, not including the fridge.
I'm in no rush to finish the refurb, so I'm replacing everything, as time and finances allow.
Some other things to consider include:

1. Replacing the water heater with a tankless unit.

2. Replacing the roof AC with a more efficient unit that also has a heat pump.
(and adding a wall mount radiant unit) This allows you to lose the 30 year old furnace entirely.

3. Lose the oven (unless you plan on cooking that Christmas turkey in it.) in favor of a micro/convection unit.

4. If you're not towing it, then an electric fridge is more economical to run.

Etc...

If you're going to spend any real time inside the trailer, you might want to consider altering the floorplan. I'm eliminating as many of the vertical divider walls and as much upper cabinetry as possible. This will open up the space significantly and make it seem larger.
Jeff
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
What I did is put the Univolt out with the cat.

I ordered a WFCO Power Penter from Bestconverter, a 8900 series.

That having its own 120V circuit breaker panel means the old box goes with the cat also, while you're at it chuck the fuse panel also.

Everything will be in one central panel, under $200 for everything.

I'm also adding a second battery.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote