Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 11:46 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Parallax SUCKS.

Either take the advice of those of us who have BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD or destroy your batteries.

Stop pussyfooting around the issue and put in a GOOD converter and BE DONE WITH IT.

Sheesh.
What is a good converter for a 2016 Classic with 50 amp service? Tell me and I'll buy it.
Clozzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
The "50 amp service" doesn't matter.

All the converter does is provide stable 12v DC to your trailer for your 12v lights and such.

The converter plugs into a regular 120v AC outlet in your trailer then converts this into DC current. The converter doesn't care if your trailer is 20, 30, or 50 amps AC as far as shore power goes.

Get a Progressive Dynamics Intellipower as I've already pointed out on this thread.

There are a few different models; they vary in DC amperage output. If you want to charge your batteries the quickest, get the 80 amp version.

If you want ease of installation, get a direct-fit model that will swap right out in a matter of minutes...these models are just as good, but don't supply QUITE as much amperage to charge your batteries as fast.

But, the availability of that full 80 amps is limited anyway by the size of your 12v and GND cables going to your batteries from the converter so this may be a moot point. It is highly doubtful that Airstream used premium super heavy gauge converter-to-battery wiring in a Classic anyway. They cheapened out on the converter itself and the fake wood, so there is absolutely NO reason to believe they would splurge for high quality wiring.

Get the Intellipower that is a drop-in replacement and be done with it.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
The "50 amp service" doesn't matter.

All the converter does is provide stable 12v DC to your trailer for your 12v lights and such.

The converter plugs into a regular 120v AC outlet in your trailer then converts this into DC current. The converter doesn't care if your trailer is 20, 30, or 50 amps AC as far as shore power goes.

Get a Progressive Dynamics Intellipower as I've already pointed out on this thread.

There are a few different models; they vary in DC amperage output. If you want to charge your batteries the quickest, get the 80 amp version.

If you want ease of installation, get a direct-fit model that will swap right out in a matter of minutes...these models are just as good, but don't supply QUITE as much amperage to charge your batteries as fast.

But, the availability of that full 80 amps is limited anyway by the size of your 12v and GND cables going to your batteries from the converter so this may be a moot point. It is highly doubtful that Airstream used premium super heavy gauge converter-to-battery wiring in a Classic anyway. They cheapened out on the converter itself and the fake wood, so there is absolutely NO reason to believe they would splurge for high quality wiring.

Get the Intellipower that is a drop-in replacement and be done with it.
30A or 50A service actually DOES make a difference in which model of the Progressive Dynamics converter that you install.

30A service uses either the Parallax 7355 or newer 8355 single stage converter and the PD-4655 is a direct drop-in replacement for it.

The 50 amp units use a different style Parallax converter that is best replaced by the Progressive Dynamics PD-9260, which is a deck mount unit.

Both units work the same, but the fit during the installation is quite different.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:24 PM   #44
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody48 View Post
As a new owner I had my problems with the original batteries dying a week after I picked up my trailer in April. Interstate replaced the batteries and I have been reading everything I can get my hands on since then. Short of replacing the lower charging section of my converter (Parallax 5355 for my 50amp service 2016 27'FC), I see that Parallax offers a TempAssure bolt on upgrade(http://www.parallaxpower.com/4400tau...pgrade-4400tau). According to Parallax this module boosts the the charging voltage 0.5v and adjusts the voltage according to battery temperature. From what I can read this would seem to solve part of the issue of cooking your batteries while constantly being pluged into shore power especially during hot weather. My question is:
1) Is this upgrade to the Parallax worthwhile (cost ~$50).
2) How do I run the cable from the TempAssure module which plugs into the front of the converter back to the battery to sense the battery temperature.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Don't be fooled. Its still a single stage converter charger and I've argued with those cats over there at Parallax for years. They don't have a patent on 4 stage charging and likely won't ever give in and admit they need multi stage charging. The temp assure is NOT a subsistute for stepped voltage charging. Thankfully for them they are still in bed with Airstream or I don't know who they would be selling them too. You want a 4 stage and this temp comp is nothing that you will notice in your lifetime. Put it this way, I have a 4 stage PD9245 and a pair of Lifeline 24s in my Lance Camper since Apr 2006. This is my 11th year and it still runs out the slide in that little 816 Lance with slide. I would also recommend any Boondocker. They just work.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:30 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
See? They work THE SAME operationally.

That's why I stated, "Get the Intellipower that is a drop-in replacement and be done with it."

The ONLY time 30A or 50 service matters is regarding DROP-IN REPLACEMENT.

Operationally, it MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.

Please don't purposely provide confusing information.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:56 PM   #46
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
See? They work THE SAME operationally.

That's why I stated, "Get the Intellipower that is a drop-in replacement and be done with it."

The ONLY time 30A or 50 service matters is regarding DROP-IN REPLACEMENT.

Operationally, it MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.

Please don't purposely provide confusing information.
When you say Intellipower, you mean get one of the Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power with Charge Wizard like the 9200 series, newer 9300 series or 4600 series with the new remote right?
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote