Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Chanhassen , Minnesota
What is the purpose of these two wires?

DC Wiring – 1986 29’ Sovereign
What is the purpose of these two wires?

I am redesigning the front DC wiring and am stumped over the purpose of two wires.

Hidden in the front wall behind the DC circuit breakers are a pair of small gauge Blue (w/white stripe) wires which connect to either a red or yellow wire with wire nuts. The blue (w/ wh stripe) wires travel off with the bundle of all other DC wires. The yellow and red pair proceed out the trailer taped to the umbilical. A foot or so outside the shell at a strain relief these wires abruptly end. Besides the umbilical, this small red and yellow wire and the brake leads, the only other wires leaving the trailer below the floor is a 12 – 14 awg red jack wire and blue brake breakaway switch wire.

Does anyone know what the purpose of the small red & yellow wires connected to the blue (w/ wh stripe) wires might be?

Like always your expertise is greatly appreciated.
Scott
Harrysheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Do you have a 7 pin or a 9 pin umbilical? Is the umbilical original or has it be changed? My 1987 was factory wired with a 9 pin. I think one wire went to cut the refrigerator off when you stopped for gas. I have the OM for that trailer but not where I can get to it on a days notice.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Chanhassen , Minnesota
Bill,
I have a 7 pin connector but a 9 wire cable. It has an extra orange and grey wire. The grey went to the fridge (no longer on the bus bar) and the orange went to a "Tire Tele" function which is also not connected.

The two wires I speak of are not in the umbilical they just are taped to it at the point of exit. Internal in the way they are connected (wire nuts) to two blue wires both striped white.

I added a couple pictures to show it. I also have the service manual but was not able to identify these two wires. They look original.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0969.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	326819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1023.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	326820  

Name:	IMG_1024.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	326821  
Old 06-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Same question here...

I know that this is an old thread, but I have the same question and don't see an answer posted for this yet, so I'm bumping the thread.

In swapping out the main 7-wire harness for the trailer connection I find three extra wires. They are not inside the main 7-wire cable, they are taped to the outside of it.

One is a red/green wire, which I've identified as the 'refer ign.' wire from the wiring diagram. Apparently this could be connected to turn off the fridge when stopping for fuel.

The other two wires look reddish and whitish, but who knows what color they were before the sun got to them. Just like the photos posted earlier by the previous post, mine are taped to the outside of the 7-wire harness rubber jacket.

Following these two wires into the trailer, they connect to two blue wires with colored stripes on them. Best I can tell from the manual's wiring diagram they are labeled as roadside propane and curbside propane tanks.

Am I correct in thinking that there was some optional tank monitoring system for the propane tanks? Or perhaps some type of leak alert system?

Since these three wires appear to have never been connected to anything, does anyone see a problem with me removing them back to the point they connect to the inside harness and just capping/taping the connection point? Not looking like I'm going to add whatever equipment these would have fed.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:21 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Chanhassen , Minnesota
Richard5933,
I did not determine the use of these wires and am not using them in my renovation, nor were they used in the previous years camping. This also gave me more options to clean up the umbilical entrance.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3661.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	398284  
Old 07-01-2021, 07:34 PM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrysheets View Post
Richard5933,
I did not determine the use of these wires and am not using them in my renovation, nor were they used in the previous years camping. This also gave me more options to clean up the umbilical entrance.
Scott
Interesting way that you ran the umbilical through the front wall. Was that factory or something you did?

I'm going to run my new cord through the same inlet underneath, but on the inside I'll be using a junction box with screw terminals instead of the crimp-on connectors.

Hard to tell from the photo - did you use the blue jacketed umbilical as well?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Chanhassen , Minnesota
Richard 5933,
The factory (or some previous owner) had run the cable under the A frame and up thru the belly skin. This was weak and caused separation of the skin from the cross frame just astern of the front tool box. I wanted to stop leaks, make this more secure, use a higher flex cold weather umbilical (I'm from Minnesooota), and make an adjustable length umbilical.

I used the longer length blue high flex cable. I ran it thru a cast terminal box and IP67 rated IP conduit with a gland that grips the cable. The cable points down from the box exit so any water will wick away from the terminal box. The terminal box is mounted near a vertical rib, has an o-ring against the AS skin. This sucker will never leak. The excess cable is looped under the couch in case I need adjust the length for my uninstalled ProPride hitch.

I came from the industrial automation market and tend to over engineer my solutions.

Scott