Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
What is advantage of Marinco type power inlet?

I'm doing renovation/upgrade to 1967 Tradewind and can get a good deal on a 30 amp inlet. I see that many people use these and am unsure why. I have never owned an RV before so please excuse my ignorance. Maybe I should consider higher amps?

thanks
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I like the Easy Lock feature. On our Avion the power cord stowage box is very small, and a power cord that disconnects is very convenient.

I just disconnect, leaving the pigtail inside the Avion box, and throw the rolled up power cord in the large storage bin.

The only disadvantage is the cord could walk off with a thief unless the Easy Lock is secured with a locking cable. Ours is hidden behind the stowage door, and we've not had any issue so far. Oh and they aren't cheap.

Regards,

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
30 amps should be adequate for a basic set up. If you are running an AC, that will draw about 20 amps in itself. I have a 30 amp plug but a 45 amp converter which works fine for me. If you may add more electric appliances than the basic you might consider higher amperage if you are doing the work anyway. Are you also considering upgrading to a 3 stage converter and increasing battery capacity?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Kevin and Lumatic...Thank you! Yes, I am considering a 3 stage converter and battery capacity. Plan on completely upgrading.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What is advantage of Marinco type power inlet?

Greetings SilverHoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
I'm doing renovation/upgrade to 1967 Tradewind and can get a good deal on a 30 amp inlet. I see that many people use these and am unsure why. I have never owned an RV before so please excuse my ignorance. Maybe I should consider higher amps?

thanks
I had my Overlander upgraded to the Marinco connector this Spring when it was determined that the revised cable portal was a source of an ongoing leak. The Marinco Adapter seals more thoroughly than the CampCo access portal that it replaced. It is also nice to be able to store the power cable in an area away from the "stinky slinky". In the extremely humid climate where I live, I am hoping that the Marinco cable will outlast my previous cable (14 years) since it will be possible to store it inside where humidity and temperature are controlled.

I just returned from a four week tour with the Overlander, and am very pleased with the Marinco arrangement. It is one of the easiest power management systems that I have utilized.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I like the fact that it's a positive connection.

Our '64 cord is hardwired in place. Every time we use it, it is pretty much bending the same way...after time, it will give out...we had ours replaced several years ago, but before that, we had to wiggle the cord sometimes to get things to work properly...we just thought that's how it was supposed to be. The main reason we had the cord replaced is, being that it is hardwired we have to store it in the bummer compartment. Our bumper compartment also has a loose/sliding door hatch that is for the stinky slinky to attach to the sewer system. A couple of years ago, on a long trip, the door jiggled open and the electrical cord started feeding out the hole. Thanks to a kind driver flagging us down, we figured out we had a problem and pulled over, but not before the end of the cord was lost...we were dragging it behind us about 10 feet.

That coupled with the comments others have made, convinced us to go with the Marinco on our '56. We will be switching over to a Marinco on our '64 when we change out the Univolt for a Charge Wizard next year.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote