Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #1

1968 26' Overlander
san fran , California
What have i done? Wiring harness error!! HELP!!

Hello,

I hope someone can tell me what I've done when I rewired the harness to match (looking into the plug end), what was indicated on the F350's harness diagram. When I say match, i mean if you were looking straight at the end of the plug, and into the plug on the truck...

We were on our way to camping world to have a new water heater installed, and a few other things done to the trailer...

I no longer have an airstream, but now have a silver streak (1975).

Everything was fine until my husband turned on the engine and started to move the trailer, where he said it wasnt moving well? then the brake controller started to smoke... we quickly pulled over and disconnected the plug from the rear, and the brake controller, which i assume is toast.

we finally got the trailer moving again (using the temporary lights that have magnets on them), and have left the trailer at the RV place for repair.

While trying to disconnect the RV from the truck, the switch to raise the trailer and put the wheel under it didnt work? I don't even know if any lights work at this point... i feel terrible - have I totally blown it?

Not having the diagram here I know I put the black wire into the center of the 7 pin connecter, but cant remember the others. All the lights worked when we tested them, which is why I cannot figure out what went wrong... signal lights back up lights (with engine on), running lamps... all working!
agathachrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
There appears to have been a change in wiring of the trailer prior to your purchase... they should sort out for you...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Chances are the pins on the trailer don't meet modern standards. You can do some electrical investigating to determine which pin on the trailer side does what. The rv shop may be able to do this if it's beyond your scope.
There wasn't a set standard hard and fast in '75 like today. The streak is probably wired different.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote