Old 11-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
1972 23' Safari
Weyers Cave , Virginia
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
I wished I lived in an area with $.0765/kilowatt-hour electrical rates!!!!

Here in Silicon Valley my baseline rate is $.11531/kW-hr. Check your local rates before you take that plunge. Also, electric heaters can be pricey!! I left a 1500W oil filled electric radiant heater running non-stop in my bedroom for about a month (turning the thermostat down during the day when I was at work). This took my electrical usage well above my baselines and my rates skyrocketed. I was graced with a $250 electric bill that month.

That actually brings up a good point. If you have a tiered billing system like we do here in California with PG&E then your electric bill could really go up with her added usage. Not trying to scare you away from the idea of helping out a friend, but rather hoping that you will fully consider all added costs.
Based on my look back over past bills, I DO think I pay 'tiered' rates, so I'd better find out where the next tier kicks in.

So glad I found this forum. I had tried calling the manufacturer and dealers and none of them could even BEGIN to offer me any kind of info. You guys are the best!

Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
My cost .0861

We pay $.0861/kilowatt hour.Our current bill is $45. It started out at $35 last Feb 2009 when we settled down for a while. It went as high as $75 this summer as A/C use was needed. Avg high temp in summer is high 90's. Avg low temps for winter is 30's.

This is for our AS MH which has a 30 amp plug. We don't use any electric heaters. We have a small 19" LCD TV. Use a 20 light string of Christmas lights in a wine bottle for a nite lite. We use microwave maybe 5 minutes a day. Toaster in morning. Fridge is set to 120 volt ac. All other heat & cooking is with propane.

Maybe you can insist no elect. heater be used. Does tenant have a elect water heater? Hope this info helps you in your situation.

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
When we lived in our Sovereign, our electric bill was never over $105, and we were paying a premium to the RV park. Regular rates would have been on the order of $70 a month, tops.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I Don't know - seems easier to wait until you get the first bill. You know what you normally use and anything above that is the TT. Could be wrong - not the first time and definately won't be the last.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you might try asking at a year round rv park that is near you if they are metered. they would be the best example of rates and usage in the winter.

to protect yourself, you can tell her what your limit is on support for the electric. it will encourage her to conserve when possible and not take you to the poor house.

you're nice to offer this help :-)
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #20

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We just had this conversation with a full-time couple who are camped nest to us here in Fort Wilderness. Their peak bill was $140 during the Texas summer when running both Airconditioners in a MONSTER 5th wheel.

Some other friends who full time in MS with a large 5er in a shaded area never had a bill over $100 on metered service 12 months straight.

Our dual air SOB at the weekend place averages $20/mo for heavy useage 2-3 weekends a Month. Winter electric heating is similar to summer cooling in our area.
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member
1972 23' Safari
Weyers Cave , Virginia
Thank you SO much, everyone!

I just wanted to say again how VERY much I appreciate all of your helpful replies. The suggestions, information and formulas have REALLY helped me to get a much better handle on what I can expect.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
1971 31' Sovereign
San Diego , California
Rates usually also vary either by the time of day, or by a baseline. On a time-of-day system, the rate will change based on peak usages during the day e.g. it's more in the mornings (6am-9-pm), and more in the evenings (4pm-9pm). On a baseline, you are given a certain amount of kWh usage per month; your bill should specify the amount if you are on that system. If you exceed that, your rates may increase significantly once you exceed 100% of the baseline; the rates then become tiered: e.g. 100%-130%, 131%-200%, 201-300% and each range in excess of the baseline would be an additional charge. I'm on a baseline system, and I was utilizing an electric heater (they're pretty much all 1500W) fairly liberally and I reached the 201%-300% baseline at $0.36 per kWh.

You can check your usage by reading your meter.
Take a reading without the trailer plugged in and do the things you usually do; 24 hours later take another reading and subtract the difference. This amount will be your daily power use in kWh; you can multiply this amount by your rate and then by the number of days in the billing cycle to estimate your monthly bill without the trailer.
Then do the same thing with the trailer plugged in. You can subtract out your average day kWh use to find out how much per day the trailer will cost you. This link will help you read your meter: How to Read Your Electric Meter

Word to the wise... get that furnace up and running and your bill won't hurt much.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
2xS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #23
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Bea, I'll also throw in the observation that you can get 120V watt-hour meters and sockets fairly inexpensively on ebay. (Also, the 240v ones can be converted for use on 120V) Most electric utilities have a rule that says you're not allowed to meter power for resale, but as long as you're not actually selling it by the KWH but rather just using the meter as a guide you'll probably be OK. I have a couple of private meters set up on my place to measure various stuff.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Hard to compare California electric rates to the rest of the country.

I ran an oil filled electric heater 24/7 on medium and a small cube type 1500W electric heater on low with thermistor set for 65 degrees it would cycle on maybe once an hour depending on outside temp my electric bill went up just over $40. However that was in MS and they have milder winters than VA.

For propane have a large tank delivered just for the winter and use the furnace as needed.

The lights, refrigerator, hot water if on propane, converter and TV will add just a very small amount of electric I would guess $10 to $15.

At a minimum I think you will be looking at around $55 but less than $100.

Please let us know since this question may come up again and we would have a better guess to pass on.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote

electricity, power