Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' International
Marietta , Georgia
Unhappy What AMP Inverter Do I Need For '82 International?

Our inverter is going bad (lights, etc. flickering, checked all other factors). What AMP inverter do we need for a 31 foot 1982 International?
Llamaluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' International
Marietta , Georgia
And where do you recommend buying from (we're in Florida camping on the beach at St Andrews State Park for 2 weeks)?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
You are talking about a converter, not an inverter... very different products.

How many batteries do you have? If you have just one battery, you'll most likely be fine with a 45 amp converter. If you have 2, a 60 amp converter will be better for charging them both at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that your 12v fuse block is separate from the Univolt, but it's worth checking before you go off to get what you need for the upgrade and find you need more parts in the middle of the process.

I bought mine from bestconverters.com, but while staying at a state park it may not be convenient to take deliveries. You'll pay more, but there are RV sales and service companies in and around Panama City that will probably stock a decent converter. Progressive Dynamics and Iota seem to satisfy buyers pretty consistently.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Good advice from STAX. I replaced the one in my 1983 34' Excella back in the Fall of 2009. There are photos in the first post.

I went a bit overboard myself. I'm sure the 60 amp converter would be fine.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' International
Marietta , Georgia
Red face Problem Solved...was NOT the converter going bad!!

Thank you both for your help & for correcting me about the converter. You may be interested to know that JUST before heading to an RV parts & sales center, we discovered that the toggle switch in our bathroom that controls the water pump was accidentally pushed to an "in between" on & off position causing our 12V power to be pulsing, making us think the converter was failing. Unfortunately, this condition went on long enough (from bedtime the night before when all the lights were off until around 10 am the next day) that our water pump motor burned up. Good thing we're not boon docking anytime soon!! We switched the water pump back to full off and our converter is happy again! WHEW!! In any case, we certainly appreciate your quick replies and hope this explanation will help someone else in the near future. Back to the beach!!!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Excellent!

I love a quick and easy solution. (Sorry about the pump, though.)

Enjoy the beach!