Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Short

Well grounded in reality

I'm replacing the defunct Univolt in my A/S with an Intelli-Power and I have a grounding question. The Intelli-Power requires a couple of (separate) ground wires be run, but I'm not sure where is the best (read that as closest and easiest) place to attach them. There is an OEM looking ground wire coming from the fuse panel, but it is simply screwed into the wall, apparently at a wall seam. Is there a frame structure behind the seam that is safe to ground to, or is there another location?

Thanks!
John

1975 31' Sovereign
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 'Laramie', HEMI
krowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
For what it's worth....I have my '73 completely apart in the backyard. It still has the original Univolt (which I'm going to replace) with the "fuse panal" built in to the Univolt. There is one ground that runs from the Univolt to the wall. In the process of removing the inner wall skins, I could see that this ground wire is screwed into the skin at a point where the skin attaches to a structural rib. I think the point is that you need a ground back thru the DC rectifier (Univolt or Intellipower) so that devices like the running lights that are only wired with a positive lead have a ground point (the aluminum structure of the trailer). Don't know if that helps, just thought you'd want to know.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
1 Rivet Short

Thanks for the info, I thought there would be some type of structural support behind the screw. My question though is, can I attach the other ground connections in the same manner, or is there another preferred location?

Thanks!
John

1975 31' Sovereign
Old 07-19-2005, 10:07 AM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Unhappy Rivet Masters take a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by krowsea
Thanks for the info, I thought there would be some type of structural support behind the screw. My question though is, can I attach the other ground connections in the same manner, or is there another preferred location?

Thanks!
John
IMHO you should not use the same ground point for both grounds. I supopose the question is "why two grounds?".

Scenario 1. If the second is a "backup" of the first in case the first should fail in some way, then you should use a completly different location for the second. I should think that grounding it in a similar manner would be fine, just seperate the two grounds by some distance.

Scenario 2. If one of these grounds is dedicated to the shell as in the way my Univolt is set up, then there is the possibility that the other ground is there for some completely different purpose (that I am not able to determine).

What you might try doing is posting here the model number/etc of your Intelli-power and posing the question again. Lots of folks on the Forum use them so if this thread stays alive for a few days, somebody will have the answer, because they will have dealt with it before. There's even a member of this forum who has a distributorship for this brand, but I can't rememeber who.

Any Rivet Masters got the answer?

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 07-19-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
This was discussed a few weeks ago here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=17010
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Rivet Master to the Rescue!

I knew one of the Rivet Masters would have the answer! Thanks Don!

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 07-19-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
1 Rivet Short

That's exactly what I was looking for! Gee, you guys are swell

Thanks!!
John

1975 31' Sovereign