Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Welding Connectors as Battery Disconnect?

Read online (somewhere) a "pro tip" that you could use welding wire connectors as a really nice and clean method to disconnecting/connecting RV batteries. Seemed like a VERY neat idea and I wonder if anyone has tried it?

They were talking about these things:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DCZR7...I1ZGEYOQUDIOXW

Anybody try it? Seems like a great idea!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Fallon , Nevada
only if you use it on the ground terminal

It will work if you connect the negative battery terminal to the female and connect the ground wire to the male connector.
Don't even think about putting it on the hot side because the battery positive terminal is hot and the output of whatever you use to charge the battery also can be hot. You don't want them to short out to ground through the male plug.
Just like the rule, "always disconnect the ground side of the battery before doing any work."
Scorge-ION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Airstreams come with a quick disconnect, they aren't rated for quite so many amps as welding, but aren't they good enough?
Attached Images

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
I say give it a shot. Sturdy and dependable. I Don't see any downside using them. I curious how they turn out.
Keep us informed
Thomas
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I would use only Anderson Power Products connectors. They've been used for decades on forklift batteries, everywhere.

They connect both the positive and negative sides with a single plug. They have arc absorbing, flat wiping, silver plated, spring loaded contacts.

Also, you might not need connectors rated for whatever these are rated for. It doesn't say what the rating is, or if these are approved by UL or any other agency. Unless you are running some really large loads like a big inverter you shouldn't need more than 50 or 60 amps through the connector. Depends on your individual setup, but 400(?) amp welding connectors may be larger than you need.

Finally, there are several negative reviews on the Amazon site you linked to. These don't appear to be quality merch.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:14 AM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
They will work but they are very bulky compared to the typical RV disconnect plug, as a result much more cumbersome to work with. Rated at 250 amps.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I'm always amazed at some 'work arounds' when a clean, permanent solution already exists for a total battery disconnect. The simple addition of a Blue Sea Systems 'M-Series' marine disconnect switch to either the positive or negative battery cable will give you a simple, effective way to remove all loads from your batteries with an easy 1/4 turn of the switch.

Permanent, water proof and solid...... rated up to 300 amps continuous.....but I guess some MUST find their own path regardless......
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:37 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Airstreams come with a quick disconnect, they aren't rated for quite so many amps as welding, but aren't they good enough?
The newer trailers don't have those.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post

I have never seen anything like that on an Airstream. Not on my 64 or 2006.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
We've used a simple battery disconnect for years, works fine for us.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dan
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The newer trailers don't have those.
Well sorry, didn't know the new fangled things let a good product go. I found that picture from a quick search for Airstream battery quick connect.. Maybe somebody knows why Airstream went away from these?
https://www.google.com/search?q=airs...Fm-cXVjn7yM%3A

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I'm always amazed at some 'work arounds' when a clean, permanent solution already exists for a total battery disconnect. The simple addition of a Blue Sea Systems 'M-Series' marine disconnect switch to either the positive or negative battery cable will give you a simple, effective way to remove all loads from your batteries with an easy 1/4 turn of the switch.

Permanent, water proof and solid...... rated up to 300 amps continuous.....but I guess some MUST find their own path regardless......
Lew,
Do you have a picture of this type of disconnect switch installation?
Thanks
Thomas
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #13
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeck11931 View Post
Lew,
Do you have a picture of this type of disconnect switch installation?
Thanks
Thomas
Google is your friend. Easy on a Mac - highlight the product description, right click and use 'search with google' "... Blue Sea Systems 'M-Series' marine disconnect switch"
Old 01-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
VTSmitty,
FYI, you can buy that same switch at Harbor Freight for half the price of Amazon. Only drawback is you have to install it directly onto a battery post.
Like Lewster, I use a marine switch, this one by Hella.

Buy it at Westmarine.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
VTSmitty,
FYI, you can buy that same switch at Harbor Freight for half the price of Amazon. Only drawback is you have to install it directly onto a battery post.
Like Lewster, I use a marine switch, this one by Hella.

Buy it at Westmarine.
Harbor Freight is cheaper, but the shipping costs erase the benefit. The Hella switch is a good one, we use that for our Solar system disconnect and it has held up well.
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I would rather have a switch to disconnect the batteries versus the welding connectors (anderson connectors). I use the anderson connectors for a winch/Jumpstart port on all of my 4x4`s, they are straight forward and easy to use......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1485104417845.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	278554  
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I may have misunderstood the application recommended by the OP.

I recommended the Anderson connectors thinking that the OP was physically disconnecting his battery with the purpose being removal of the battery.

That's what I do every fall when I put the Airstream away for the winter.

Otherwise, if you only want to electrically disconnect the battery, a switch is obviously easier.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #18
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
That's what I want: complete disconnection of the battery for removal. Welding connectors seems nice and compact for doing so.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
That's what I want: complete disconnection of the battery for removal. Welding connectors seems nice and compact for doing so.
Anderson connectors will do the job you are looking for. For what it's worth I soldered the wires into the connectors on all of my trucks as I didn't have a crimper stout enough to crimp them.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1964 26' Overlander
1965 26' Overlander
Wenatchee , Washington
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

Lew,
I always zero in when you reply to questions on the forum. I enjoyed listening to your advice at the Vintage Trailer Academy in NM. I wish those were still happening! I learned SO much!
I know it probably depends on which trailer but I was wondering if you could point me to a photo of the installation of the Blue Sea disconnect switch. Is normally installed inside the trailer? On the tongue?
Thanks for you help.
Laura
ljaecks is offline   Reply With Quote