Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2003, 07:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Bambi battery hookup & DC questions

Am working on getting the DC working on my new to me Bambi 62. Have installed a 12 volt NAPA battery in the external housing. Now I see there are three leads to connect to the battery - two red and one green. There are only two posts on the battery. Should I connect both the red wires to the positive post? Is the green the negative? Why are there two red leads?

The lead connectors are smaller than the battery posts but can be crimped into the new connectors I bought. Seem like a low guage wire however. I am presuming this OK?

Just above each red lead terminal is a spring loaded housing containing a fuse.

Once the leads (wires) enter the trailer do they go anywhere else except to the DC 12 volt wiring that I believe (from reading other threads) run down the center of the coach roof and then descend to lights and outlets?

Each light or outlet seems to have either two switches and only one that works on AC. Am I right in assuming that one is AC and the other DC

I have double fuse block - is this connected in any way to the DC
I do not think I have an inverter or converter.

The double fuse box has a bulb on top but does not light up when AC is on. Have not actually connected the DC because I am concerned about connectint the two red leads to the positive.

Would appreciate some feedback before I go any further. Thankyou!
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 09:48 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I am not an expert, maybe someone with the same unit will chime in. I will make a guess though. One of the red leads is to the rest of the trailer the other is more than likeley the charge lead from the tow vehicle. All it takes is a volt meter and some time to figure it out.

Does your bambi have a univolt? As I remember they did not come with one. If it has a univolt then the second wire could be from it.

The green is most likely a ground, but the factory color would have been black, so that tells me the wiring is not original. That has it's good and bad points
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

First, thank you for responding. I was giving up hope!

I have connected the two red leads to either side of the positive battery terminal and have found out through trial and error that and looking at the bulbs that one side of each of the four two bulb light fixture light is 12 volt and the other AC. Sorting out which was which probably cost me a couple of 12 volt bulbs. I hope I can get replacements from somewhere?

The electrical outllets are both AC. Each has an on/off switch and I am thinking that the rear one is for the water pump and the one in the kitchen area for the water heater.

I am confused about what is meant by univolt - I thought that was the battery. What is meant by "univolt"? Besides what I think is the water pump, the only other device appears to be fuse box which does seem to work. One fuse is connected to the water pump and the other to the other DC outlets.

I am hoping the other red wire is what you say, a connection that will recharge the battery.

I hope I can get replacements from somewhere What is meant by "univolt?
Old 11-02-2003, 04:59 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
A univolt is the built in battery charger.

In 62 , if not modified you will have a air over water pressuized system. I belive this pump was 120 Volt only. Post 65 the system was a demand pump.

12 volt bulbs are readily available at your local autoparts store if they have the 2 little tabs on them.

If they thread in you will have to visit the RV store.

If your water heater is not gas then the guess regarding the switch in the kitchen may be right. If the heater is gas, then there may be a socket on the outside of the trailer for an outdoor light fixture that was removeable. If you don't have it finding one will be hard.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 06:24 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Weather was really warm today and spent a lot of time working on the A/S. Hooked up the battery and have a working porch light, light fixtures and outlets both AC and DC. Nothing exploded popped or fizzled so I am hoping it have it right. I think I will have to fill the water tank before finding out if I have a pump or what it is that looks like a pump attached to the water tank in the rear and how the hot water heater works. I have hot and cold taps so there is something in there that does the job. If the weather stays good I will have a go at that next. After that comes the external electrical connections and I know I have a short there. I also have to construct a back plate for one of the rear 7" tail lights. I am planning to try starting off with a paint lid. It looks ideal.

Thanks for your help and feedback.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Does the single switch above the kitchen counter have a light above it. If so it is probably from the interior (air) heater. What it does is switch from 110 to12 volts for the fans that circulate the air around inside. That system has 2 fans one 12volt and one 110volt. It also should have four switches located inside the cabnet where the heater system is.

Good Luck
Steve
Deluxe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 11:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Don't know if I can help. . .
On my '59, there are two wires (12V and ground) from the battery. The 12V goes to a fuse block located on the front wall. Ground is attached to the body nearby. The 12V feed splits after the fuse block-one 12V circuit to house power (lamps, etc) and the other goes up the wall to a standard light switch which controls the 12V air compressor for the water tank.
As previously noted, I think the other wire in the battery box is probably charging line from the tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	couch 010.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	4260  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote