Old 06-23-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Victron Venus GX Installation

Well after following the 'MPPT Solar and Lithium Question' thread I finally bit the bullet and got a Venus GX to add to my system. I describe the installation of my lithium battery and Multiplus inverter charger and my solar system in earlier threads:'Frank's lithium battery and inverter upgrade' and 'Franks solar upgrade'. First step to install the Venus was to update firmware on my existing Victron equipment. Used Ve.Flash to update my Multiplus 3000 connected to my laptop with a MK3-USB cable; and ve.connect and a ve.direct-usb cable to update my bmv702 battery monitor and mppt 100/50 solar charger. Then I connected to the Venus GX via wifi from my laptop and accessed it with Victron Remote Console from by browser and updated its firmware. Everything was pretty straight forward except keeping straight which program was needed for each device! Then I connected everything to the Venus—ve.direct cables to the mppt solar charger and bmv702 and a RJ45 cable for the Multiplus. I also took this opportunity to add the bmv702 temperature sensor to the bmv. I powered everything up and, connected to the venus using victron remote console from my browser on my laptop and everything showed up. For the screen capture below I had the air conditioner on and was parked in the sun for the solar charger but I was not connected to shore power. Special thanks to daleyocum and wulfraat and all the others for the helpful discussion in the MPPT Solar and Lithium Question post--that's what convinced me to go forward with this!--Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	venus screen capture.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	314937   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery inverter venus.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	314938  

Name:	roof panels.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	314939  

Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Victron Venus GX Installation

Nicely done!

Don’t forget to turn on DVCC and also create an account on vrm.victronenergy.com and then configure the Venus to upload data to the cloud for analysis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	314945  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I did turn the DVCC on. Besides the display and data logging abilities of the Venus GX the Distributed Voltage Current Control was a major factor in me installing the Venus. With 3 possible charging sources (inverter/charger, solar, and generator if needed) having something that oversaw all sources and controlled power to the battery made sense. --Frank
Equalizer Hitch
Old 06-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
So now that I have my Venus GX working I am fine tuning some other aspects of my charging system. I don't want to be charging my Lithionics lithium battery with its built in BMS when the battery gets below freezing, but I may still want to have my multiplus inverter charger on to pass the AC power through or to be using the inverter. So I programmed an assistant on the mutiplus to turn off the charger when its below 32 degrees F. To do this I connected the bmv702 relay to the Aux 1 inputs on the mutiplus and programmed a low temperature relay on the bmv to open the relay when temperature is below 33 and close when its above 35 F--this gives me a little margin for error. Then I programmed a charge current control assistant on the mutiplus so it it turns the charger off when it determines the relay is open, and on when the relay is closed. At least that is my understanding of it--I haven't actually loaded the new configuration on the multiplus yet to try it out. Some battery bms's may automatically turn off in freezing temperatures (but then you can't use the battery) or if networked with then venus and multiplus may turn the charger off directly--but that wasn't true for mine. --Frank
Equalizer Hitch