Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
eugene , Oregon
Vent fan

I just removed a broken roof vent from our 23' safari. It was the rear vent.
I'd like to install a new vent with a fan but there is no electrical at this site.
What is the best way to either run a wire from a light or run a new circuit?
I am a electrical novice.
Thanks
cyafishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Our dealer-installed FantasticFan near the dinette table is wired to the overhead lighting fixture; and it turns on and off with the switch near the entry door.

I installed a second FantasticFan, myself, in the bedroom area (it replaced the existing non-powered vent); and I wired it into the overheat lighting fixture that turns on and off with the switch near the furnace thermostat, which is located near bathroom sink in our 2005, 19-foot Bambi.

Connecting a vent fan into the wiring for overhead lighting fixtures appears to be the most common practice.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
eugene , Oregon
Where to run wire?

Here is a picture of the light wiring in relation to the vent hole. They are close together but there is a metal support for the roof in between them. What is the best way to run the wire?
Thanks,
G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	208869  
cyafishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you look around in the pink insulation, you'll probably find a wire bundle somewhere in the ceiling. However, I am unfamiliar with models other than our 2005, 19-foot Bambi. Hopefully, someone with your model Airstream who has installed a FantasticFan, will respond.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
there is a wire there, you just need to find it.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I've been watching this thread with interest because I'm going to be doing the same project in my "62 Tradewind in the next week or so. I've been planning on running a wire through the divider wall into a closet, then to a 12-volt light. There is a 120-volt romex wire going to the vent, probably for an air conditioner, but that won't help with a Fantastic-Vent.

So, Frank, are you saying I should look for an existing 12-volt wire in the cieling? I figured since there was 120-volts already there, it would be unlikely to already be there.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
Usually there is a wire but it may take some digging to find it. I used to install Fantastic Vents and found the older Safari model did not have any wire going to the front or rear vents. We often had to run wiring to the nearest light. CAUTION: if you are getting a Fantastic Vent with rain sensor and you hook it into your light, make sure you bypass the light switch by the door or on the wall. If you do not bypass, when you shut off the light, the fan will also go off and the rain sensor will not be active. If the vent is open and it rains it will not close. In short, the Fantastic Vent Rain Sensor models need to have a full time hot going to it.

In the newer Safari models, Airstream realized owners might want to have a powered vent and actually ran wires to the 'area.' Sometimes you have to (from on top of the trailer) search between the rib and inside skin with your hand to locate the wire(s) often taped to the inside of the outer skin. Occasionally, only a hot wire was run and you had to use the rib as a ground.

It's not a difficult job but if you're not familiar with 12 volt electricity then its better to get someone who is familiar with doing this type of job.

On most of the 70's, 80's and early 90's Airstream trailers, wiring was bundled and run down each side of the roof vents. One side carried 120 volt wiring and the other 12 volt wiring. For replacing non powered vents with Fantastic Vents, we would tap into a ground and a full time live wire to power the vent.

Good luck
oldfulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote