Old 02-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #1

Vancouver , Washington
Using UPS for sensitive Electronics

My wife and I have just purchased an airstream we have not fully moved into it yet but I have a very specific question as to electronics. I have a small personal server that holds everything from movies to personal documents, its small using between 5-17W of power. I am just looking for a small UPS if i am using shore power and either the Surge Protector shuts off power or power goes out I have enough time to properly shut it down.

Right now I have it hooked up to an APC BN 4001 which has more than enough power but weights approx 12lbs. I am looking for a much smaller one that will fit up where the DVD player lives so I can have a complete network setup including modem and router. Does anyone know of such a product?

I have also thought of using the inverter, the only thing that I can see wrong with this is that it may put excess wear on the batteries killing them faster. I believe I have 1Kw inverter currently, so once you add in server, router, DVD or Smart TV remaining power gets limited.

Any thoughts on this topic are appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

NeuroNerd411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Your Airstream is a ups
If you have an inverter... Same deal! Your batteries drive the inverter... The inverter drives your server. Same equipment but you're already equipped on a larger scale.

AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I use FedEx.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Alternatively find a little server (NAS) you can run on 12v and , as AtomicNo13 said, think of your Airstream as a UPS. You’d probably like using SSD’s for storage rather than spinning hard disks anyway. You could make your own with a little windows computer or find a NAS that runs on 12v already.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
With that low of power I would give it a small dedicated inverter directly off the house batteries with it's own fuse, that eliminates worries about anything else interrupting it's power.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
With that low of power I would give it a small dedicated inverter directly off the house batteries with it's own fuse, that eliminates worries about anything else interrupting it's power.

Agreed.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
APC UPS Battery Backup & Surge... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDC236Q...p_mob_ap_share

Weight 5 pounds and free software for usb connection to shut server down correctly. Roughly 15 minute run time
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International Serenity 30 with Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #8

Vancouver , Washington
beachbouy: Thanks, I did not realize they made smaller ones, that was the smallest one at the time.

daleyocum: I have grown to like a lot of the features of this NAS, and although I love SSD, they do not have the same price point as spinning disks. 4tb drives at $90 a piece for HDD and roughtly $500 for the same SSD. I was thinking of building a mini PC or using an old laptop, but Synology makes it extremely easy to operate. I dont want to have to mess with windows server, linux server settings. Tried once and it was a huge headache.

AtomicNo13: That is one thing I was thinking, however, my main concern is the wear and tear on the batteries. UPS batteries run about $50 where as deep cycle batteries are significantly more expensive.
NeuroNerd411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I use a laptop, which has its own power supply if power to the AS or my house goes out. I changed the OEM 500gb HDD for a 1tb SSD. I use a 3tb USB HDD as my backup and then another 3tb USB HDD for movies. I can plug the movie 3tb directly to the media player (it supports 2 USB connections, 3tb each.) I have 2-2tb HDD and 2-3tb HDD USB drives, total. (backups for the backups)

In the AS I just use the inverter to recharge the laptop batteries (2) and power the USB drives, TV, WIFI hotspot, etc. if we lose power. At home I have multiple sets of batteries and a 400 watt portable inverter. This is just because I have a boat and spare batteries, not a special purchase. In 22 years we've lost power for no more than 6 hours. I have a cigar lighter adapter (12vdc -> 19vdc) for the laptop and I can attach a cigar lighter receptacle to any of my batteries for more power.

I stopped using desktops because of their failures when a UPS failed because of a bad battery or connection. Laptops are smaller, lighter and use less electricity plus have their own battery power.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
I have grown to like a lot of the features of this NAS, and although I love SSD, they do not have the same price point as spinning disks. 4tb drives at $90 a piece for HDD and roughtly $500 for the same SSD. I was thinking of building a mini PC or using an old laptop, but Synology makes it extremely easy to operate. I dont want to have to mess with windows server, linux server settings. Tried once and it was a huge headache.

The reason I was mentioning SSD is if you are going to have the server running while bouncing down dirt roads. If you are going to shut it down whenever you drive then it's no big deal.

FreeNAS is an open source NAS file system that is free to download if you decide to build your own with a mini PC. https://freenas.org/
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
AS are a UPS

ie AC power comes in, charges the battery , then the battery runs the 12v and AC side.

you only need a UPS if you run off city power using 120 V av system directly
i would add an inside trailer surge suppressor before the UPS

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote