Old 06-15-2005, 11:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
ok...guess I need a little more hand holding. I got the signal finder. Set my dish on the tripod out in the driveway and adjusted the angle and roughly hit the other settings. My signal meter db set to 5 and it sings like the signal is strong. I moved it around and the signal faded in and out some, so I locked it to where I had the strongest.
When I go to the recievr and tv, it goes thru the install process, but does not find the signal.
Am I missing a step here? When my 17 yr old comes home I might try moving the dish while he is in the rig to see if it makes a difference. But i thought uf the finder is singing then the signal is there and strong.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
ok...guess I need a little more hand holding. I got the signal finder. Set my dish on the tripod out in the driveway and adjusted the angle and roughly hit the other settings. My signal meter db set to 5 and it sings like the signal is strong. I moved it around and the signal faded in and out some, so I locked it to where I had the strongest.
When I go to the recievr and tv, it goes thru the install process, but does not find the signal.
Am I missing a step here? When my 17 yr old comes home I might try moving the dish while he is in the rig to see if it makes a difference. But i thought uf the finder is singing then the signal is there and strong.

My signal finder has a knob for adjusting the sensitivity. After getting the first beeps, I turn down the sensitivity til it stops beeping and signal goes down. Then align the dish again to get signal again. This way you keep getting a stronger signal each time. Then repeat again. After a few times, I am dialed in with a strong signal.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:20 PM   #17
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
Dont forget to remove the signal finder.
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I will try that. I moved the dish around until the signal was strongest. When I went to the reciever it would never get a signal. I tried a few different settings for the switch, transponder. I will give it another try this weekend, after I come back from a short fishing trip. I did pull the signal finder out of the circuit one time, left it in the next, not sure what I was doing!
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 06-15-2005, 09:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Alan, you could be getting the WRONG signal. If you have DirecTV you may be locked onto Dish Network,with the meter, or vice versa. Look for another signal peak on the meter, close to the same azimuth.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
right, I had heard they were close together. Weird thing is with the reciver when i brought it back into the house and connected it up it took a long time to set up again . I even checked the settings versus my upstairs receiver, and they were the same. Maybe i should try that one out in the AS instead. Could be a bit finicky.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 06-21-2005, 07:52 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Setting up the satellite

Took delivery last week and since then the wife is trying to make her nest in the kitchen. I have ordered two of honda's EU2000I's from Mayberry with the parallel kit should be here next week. Now the only thing left to do before we go on our first trip is to get the satellite up and running. I have a dish, tripod, and extra home reciever upstairs that works and we never use. The AS has the audio/visual package with the single flat screen. I can see just simply put the dish on a tripod hook up some RG6 from that to the trailer but what I'm not sure about is how does the picture get to the flat screen with the existing hookup? Doing a search and reading the posts looks like we will also need a siglal finder.
In advance
Thanks for the help
Alan
PS this website is great
Old 07-05-2005, 12:58 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

dish vs dirrect

lnb is a low noise block down converter. if you have a dish with 2 lnbs' from dish network it will not work on a 2 lnb system as the ofset between the 2 lnb's are different.it will work for one satellite or the other but not for both at the same time. you can use either rg59 or rg 6 but the 6 is better. 59 will be just fine for 20 feet or so... they do have a self tuning dish on the market now but it is $1500 with a 12 volt receiver.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:07 AM   #23

Satilite connections???

I have a 1987 Sovereign, my antena works great and the power booster also. I tried to hook up a dish ( Direct ) outsideto the connection point and i get no signal inside when I run the cabl through the door it works great. I do have a 90% signal Where does the outside coax run to inside? Or do i need to swap wires in the wall behind the power booster. It does not seem to come into the bed room either. Does any one know where I can start at? Thanxx Duxx
Old 08-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
My satelite dish will not feed through the existing cable outlet. I talked with others that had dishes and they had the same problem. The answer was to install a dedicated line from the dish to the reciever. I did this by drilling a hole in the refrigerator space into the galley. I ran the dish coax along with the cb coax behind the dinnette. It works, I don't know why it won't work through the cable line but it wouldn't in my case.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Those little Sat finder meters work great.
Link please? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

if you remove the wire from the amplifier in the coach you can use it as your dish feed
Old 08-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
http://www.channelmaster.com/
I have found the Model 10041FD to be an easy to use and very accurate Satellite Signal Level Meter. Many of us in our club use this model because it is so easy to use. Hope this helps.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:43 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Yes, Tarheel, that is a great help, thanks.