Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170725_155508.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	290478
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
My USB ports aren’t burning or hot; they just don’t work. If I plug a device in, it shows charging but it doesn’t actually put any more charge into the battery. In fact it almost seems as if they begin to discharge the battery faster. Anyone have any thoughts?
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
yes, not to sound preachy, the
Blue Sea works great.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
yes, not to sound preachy, the
Blue Sea works great.
My wife has a REAL problem with light when she is trying to sleep. The current USB ports have a very bright blue light even when the cap is put over the USB ports. Does this USB port leak light like the OEM one does or does the cap prevent light from spilling out?
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
You can get the Blue Sea dual usb without a light. Look for model # 1045. It does have a dust cap, same as the one in the photo above.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
This thread focuses on replacing inferior USB charger outlets with better USB charger outlets. I went a different route--one that gave me more flexibility in the things I can power.

My 2017 International Serenity 27FB came with no 12 V outlets, which was rather a shock, since I use 12V appliances whenever possible. Instead, it had a meager three low-output dual USB chargers, all mounted in upper cabinets. I replaced them with Blue Sea standard 12 V outlets (not USB chargers), and then added more 12 V outlets in places such as under the dinette table and alongside the bed, so I wouldn't have to dangle cords in front of my windows.

That gave me the ability to run 12 V appliances such as my CPAP, my 12 V electric blanket, Wasabi camera battery chargers, Ryobi One+ power tool battery charger, portable Caframo and Hella 12 V fans, and a 75 W inverter for small AC-powered devices. None of these tings could be used with a USB charger, as they plug directly into a 12 V socket.

For charging USB devices such as my iPhone and iPad, I plug in a 12 V USB adapter such as this four-port USB model that can provide up to 2.4 amps per port--unlike the low-powered USB ports Airstream installed--or this two-port USB plus USB C model, which puts out enough juice that it can charge my MacBook Pro as well as a USB device.

My point is this: a USB charger of the type Airstream installed--even a better-quality Blue Sea replacement--is limited in what it can do. An old-fashioned 12 V outlet can be used to charge USB devices, but it can also do much more. Since both types fit in the same 1 1/8" mounting hole, making it an easy swap, it's worth considering whether you really want to limit your capability to just USB.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
This thread focuses on replacing inferior USB charger outlets with better USB charger outlets. I went a different route--one that gave me more flexibility in the things I can power.

My point is this: a USB charger of the type Airstream installed--even a better-quality Blue Sea replacement--is limited in what it can do. An old-fashioned 12 V outlet can be used to charge USB devices, but it can also do much more. Since both types fit in the same 1 1/8" mounting hole, making it an easy swap, it's worth considering whether you really want to limit your capability to just USB.
Paprika,

Good point about the 12 volt outlets. I have also added several of them throughout the trailer and use them a lot. Some are installed side by side with the dual usb outlet. Having choices is always good.

TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Haymarket , Virginia
Add USB ports

Our 2014 Bambi didn't come with USB ports, but for $16 at Amazon got a Eathtek Replacement Universal Waterproof 4 Port USB Charger Socket Outlet 5V Output Total 6.2A Panel Mount Jack Motor 4 USB charger Dual 1A and Dual 2.1A and installed them on the top closet wall, and wired into the closet lights. Added a Rubbermaid Unbreakable Single Pocket Wall File, Letter Size (85. x 11), Clear (65972ROS) for $8 to hold iPads, iPhones and other devices and now have a handy, out-of-the-way charging station. Priceless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chargerports-1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	299978  
KellyCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Morgan Hill , California
23 Flying cloud bunk bed 2015 with USB port problem

The USB port, built into the DVD player housing(not the one on the player itself), above the dinette has failed in my trailer. I want to replace it with a Blue Sea port but am not sure how to get into the housing. Has anyone done this? Any ideas/tips are welcome!

Thanks in advance.
stuartdicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB International
Bay Area , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartdicker View Post
The USB port, built into the DVD player housing(not the one on the player itself), above the dinette has failed in my trailer. I want to replace it with a Blue Sea port but am not sure how to get into the housing. Has anyone done this? Any ideas/tips are welcome!

Thanks in advance.
Grab a phillips screwdriver and start taking the cabinet apart - goes back together easily. You'll need to get to the back of the usb port to pull the spade connections to the power wires and and unscrew the retaining ring around port that holds it in place. If you order the replacement now, it will be easy to see the connections on the new unit. Easy replacement.
WkendWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Morgan Hill , California
Thank you.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Take pictures and make notes as you take it apart.

Especially carefully note wire colors and polarity (+, -) markings on the outlet BEFORE you disconnect the wires.

If you have a label maker, put permanent labels on the wires for polarity...saves a lot of smoke and/or blown fuses when putting the new one in...don't ask how I know this...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Morgan Hill , California
Solid advice on all fronts - thanks.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Stuart, before you replace the USB ports, you might want to read message #26 in this thread, where I make the case that a standard 12 V outlet fits the same hole and is much more versatile.

Case in point: I'm charging my MacBook Pro from a 65 W adapter in a 12V outlet right now. There's no way any USB port would have the power to do that.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Whoops, missed mentioning that point. Good catch!

Our 2007 still has bunches of standard (cigarette lighter) type 12 volt plugs. I have the opposite problem on my 'improvement' list...several nicely integrated USB charger panels with fuses and shutoff switches to install.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #36

Lincoln , California
I want to also convert one of the USB ports to a 12v cigarette lighter type receptacle for my wife's cpap machine. Is there enough amps in the bedroom ports to do so with the unit you used (need 7 amps).

Thank you!
Mottaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astw View Post
I have a 2016 international and just had this problem with the USB next to the bed. Red hot and smelled like it is burnt out. Thank you for the blue sea systems usb plugs suggestion. Ordering it now��
Since this post and replacing 1 USB that burnt out next to the bed, now the USB next to my DVD player was red hot and went dead. Sounds like Airstream needs to find a new vendor. Try blue sea systems usb plugs as my first one has worked great. Thanks to everyone on this post on the tips for taking apart the DVD unit. I'll be working on that shortly...
Astw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Take pictures and make notes as you take it apart.

Especially carefully note wire colors and polarity (+, -) markings on the outlet BEFORE you disconnect the wires.

If you have a label maker, put permanent labels on the wires for polarity...saves a lot of smoke and/or blown fuses when putting the new one in...don't ask how I know this...
I'm about to replace my OEM units with Blue Sea Systems BelowDeck Panels, Dual USB Chargers.

The OEM USB outlets have very thin gauge hard wired red and a black wires. The OEM USB port's red wire is crimp connected to the much heavier gauge black supply wire. The USB port's black wire is connected to the white supply wire.

I'll need to strip the supply lines and install female connectors to fit the Blue Seas slip on units. Positive and negative connections are marked on the Blue Seas.

QUESTION....Can I be certain that the RED wire on the OEM unit connected to the black supply wire is POSITIVE?

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:30 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
These ports are wired for power only - they do not connect to anything other than power. Like glcmranger said they can be easily replaced - although I am not a fan of a light right next to my head while sleeping. I would agree that the dealer installed ports are piles of poo and if you plan to use them you may want to replace them with something better.
I replaced mine with Blue Sea USB ports WITHOUT the light. My wife is light sensitive at night (wants a very dark room) and those stock USB ports with the light drove her crazy.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:32 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I'm about to replace my OEM units with Blue Sea Systems BelowDeck Panels, Dual USB Chargers.

The OEM USB outlets have very thin gauge hard wired red and a black wires. The OEM USB port's red wire is crimp connected to the much heavier gauge black supply wire. The USB port's black wire is connected to the white supply wire.

I'll need to strip the supply lines and install female connectors to fit the Blue Seas slip on units. Positive and negative connections are marked on the Blue Seas.

QUESTION....Can I be certain that the RED wire on the OEM unit connected to the black supply wire is POSITIVE?

Thanks.
I assume the ones you are replacing worked...at least at some point? The USB ports should be marked with a (+) and (-). Just make sure you keep the polarity the same on your new one.