Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
USB port: Burning smell, hot to touch

The other day there was a burning wire/plastic smell in our 2015 FC 25 (front bedroom with inverter and converter both under the queen bed). I followed my nose, so to speak, and discovered that one of the dual USB ports by the bed was hot to the touch.

I pulled a fuse which I thought powered the USB ports (but didn't) and flipped off the circuit breakers that supply the bedroom lights, etc (which also didn't turn off the USB port). We then flipped the "use/store" button to "store", waited ten seconds, and flipped it back to "use". This took care of the problem and the USB port cooled down in a few minutes to be cold to the touch. By the way, we were plugged into shore power but had flipped off the campground pedestal circuit breaker before bed because our Airstream supplied converter makes a humming noise that bothers me when going to sleep.

I have an appointment with our dealer's service center for Tuesday as we head out on another trip on Thursday but I was curious if anyone had experienced this.

Thanks!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Wires too small for the load or load to big for the wires. Usual causes for hot wiring/plugs. ???

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I haven't experienced the hot USB port problem, but I did have the noisy converter problem until I replaced the original with a Progressive Dynamics (PD4655V) 55 Amp Converter/Charger with Built-In Charge Wizard.

It sounds like replacing yours might resolve a couple of problems.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
The other day there was a burning wire/plastic smell in our 2015 FC 25 (front bedroom with inverter and converter both under the queen bed). I followed my nose, so to speak, and discovered that one of the dual USB ports by the bed was hot to the touch.

I pulled a fuse which I thought powered the USB ports (but didn't) and flipped off the circuit breakers that supply the bedroom lights, etc (which also didn't turn off the USB port). We then flipped the "use/store" button to "store", waited ten seconds, and flipped it back to "use". This took care of the problem and the USB port cooled down in a few minutes to be cold to the touch. By the way, we were plugged into shore power but had flipped off the campground pedestal circuit breaker before bed because our Airstream supplied converter makes a humming noise that bothers me when going to sleep.

I have an appointment with our dealer's service center for Tuesday as we head out on another trip on Thursday but I was curious if anyone had experienced this.

Thanks!
Was anything plugged into the USB ports at the time? Have you ever used the ports, and did they work OK?

If you are interested in knowing more about what went wrong, you can ask the service person to give you the failed unit when they replace it. I don't have USB ports in my trailer, but many people do, so if you can post a picture I'm sure some others here will appreciate it.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
The USB ports in the twin beds are between the beds on either side of the nightstand pointing towards the beds. In a very short time both dual-ports died from pillows and body parts hitting them while being used for charging phones while sleeping. They started off getting very loose which caused a bad connection which can cause the connector to get hot. I had them replaced by dealer but then ended up changing the entire setup to eliminate future problems.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
From experience with USB burning:

1. Metal shavings may have gotten into the port.
2. Moisture or water may have gotten into the port.
3. The device you are connecting to it is damage: crossed wired.

USB jacks that you see is like an extension cord to the motherboard or circuit board. Unless you have messed with the connection between the MB and CB (not saying I did that, and crossed the wires) it is very RARE for that to malfunction without external forces. How does an extension cord break? Very rare on its own unless outside forces are acting on it.

Once your USB is toast, the MB and CB are more likely to be toast as well. Get it under warranty if you still have it.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
I replaced them with Blue Sea Systems USB plugs. It was a perfect fit in the existing hole. These are marine-certified and have a cover over the hole. It also has a very small light to let you know if the socket is energized.

Took me 10 minutes to replace.

You can find these on Amazon.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
From experience with USB burning:

1. Metal shavings may have gotten into the port.
2. Moisture or water may have gotten into the port.
3. The device you are connecting to it is damage: crossed wired.

USB jacks that you see is like an extension cord to the motherboard or circuit board. Unless you have messed with the connection between the MB and CB (not saying I did that, and crossed the wires) it is very RARE for that to malfunction without external forces. How does an extension cord break? Very rare on its own unless outside forces are acting on it.

Once your USB is toast, the MB and CB are more likely to be toast as well. Get it under warranty if you still have it.
These ports are wired for power only - they do not connect to anything other than power. Like glcmranger said they can be easily replaced - although I am not a fan of a light right next to my head while sleeping. I would agree that the dealer installed ports are piles of poo and if you plan to use them you may want to replace them with something better.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Wow, thanks for all of your great replies and ideas! I will check them all out when I drop the trailer to the dealer on Monday morning (and yes, still under warranty for another eight months).

Thank you all so very much!
Old 06-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Wow, thanks for all of your great replies and ideas! I will check them all out when I drop the trailer to the dealer on Monday morning (and yes, still under warranty for another eight months).

Thank you all so very much!
I had the same issue yesterday while dry camping. I pulled the fuse for the 12v sockets (USB ports) and Radio/DVD player.

I put the fuse back in this afternoon and everything seems normal on both 12volt and on AC shore power. I plugged my iPhone in both receptacle on the dual USB port next to the DVD/Radio and no heat or smell.

So....I was curious about what your dealer diagnosed with you trailer.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I had the same issue yesterday while dry camping. I pulled the fuse for the 12v sockets (USB ports) and Radio/DVD player.

I put the fuse back in this afternoon and everything seems normal on both 12volt and on AC shore power. I plugged my iPhone in both receptacle on the dual USB port next to the DVD/Radio and no heat or smell.

So....I was curious about what your dealer diagnosed with you trailer.

Well, the dealer never found anything amiss, hence, didn't replace the USB ports. I have used them ever since without experiencing the problem again. Same cord, same phone being used in the same port. I reckon' I will never know what the issue was . If it happens again in the future I will simply replace the ports as others have suggested.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Well, the dealer never found anything amiss, hence, didn't replace the USB ports. I have used them ever since without experiencing the problem again. Same cord, same phone being used in the same port. I reckon' I will never know what the issue was . If it happens again in the future I will simply replace the ports as others have suggested.

Good luck!
Yes....I actually cancelled my dealer appointment. I suspect that it was caused by an iPhone charging at the same time as a Verizon Ranger Cell receiver.

It has been said that the Airstream USB ports are of lower capacity than one would think. I've since charged two iPhones at once without issue. The Verizon receiver may be drawing too much for a dual charge.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
I replaced them with Blue Sea Systems USB plugs. It was a perfect fit in the existing hole. These are marine-certified and have a cover over the hole. It also has a very small light to let you know if the socket is energized.

Took me 10 minutes to replace.

You can find these on Amazon.
Highly recommended. We use these on our boat.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Highly recommended. We use these on our boat.
Curious. How would these perform better than what is in the trailer? Other than for marine use, are they rated differently?
Old 07-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
I have a 2016 international and just had this problem with the USB next to the bed. Red hot and smelled like it is burnt out. Thank you for the blue sea systems usb plugs suggestion. Ordering it now��
Astw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Newport Beach , California
I have 2016 27 FB. I love it and most of the electronics. BUT the 2 USB in the rear dining area failed within six months. I had them replaced and they failed again. Then the two on the door side in the bedroom failed. I think they have problems. Fortunately the 2 in the bedroom have worked continuously and are probably the most used. Ugh??
rchawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
To those of you that replaced your's with the Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Charger Socket. Did you buy the 2.1A Black 12V/24V or the 4.8A Socket Mount 12V/24V model?
Old 07-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
I think that they are junk. One fell out over the bed and the one by the dvr cooked my iPhone..... I think. Thanks for the replacement idea. I don't use them currently....
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
5v / 2.1 model 1016
Dual USB Ports w. cap.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California