Old 04-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Used 2 inch aluminum C-channel. Cut to almost fit (not much of a metal worker) and attached with self tapping screws to box. If I did it again I would use light weight steel C-channel or farm the job out to a shop and have the frame aluminum cut, welded and attached properly. I can weld light steel but not aluminum. That is an art form and is worth paying someone to do it right.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #16
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Lewster (Lew) recommended this to me awhile ago, and I believe he does this on his upgrades.

Consider installing a 50 amp circuit breaker between your batteries and the Airstream. I installed a 50 amp surface mountBlue Sea Systems 285-Series Circuit Breaker this should protect the Airstream's 12v systems from any power spikes.

Hopefully, my diagram will not confuse you. Ignore most of it. You can see where mine is, coming off my batteries main power and before it connects to the Airstream's main bus.

And here is a photo of it before it goes to the Airstream distribution bus.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Ocean Springs , Mississippi
6 volt added

I constructed a new "raised top" for my battery box to add 3 1/2 inches so the T-105 6 volt batteries would fit inside. I used an old stop sign or two and alot of rivets for the project.

I use the outdoor electric outlet mounted to the frame as an input for my Go Power 80 Watt solar cell (or as a direct input to charge with my Honda 1000). I use standard 3 prong connectors on my solar and generator cables as inputs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2556.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	261270

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2495.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	261271
Old 04-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
George, nice looking box. I like having the extra room above the batteries.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
Better Trojan T105s

I've used Trojan 6v deep cycle flooded batteries for years. I just had to replace my batteries and found that Trojan has "Smart Carbon" technology in their new "RE" line of batteries.

Deep-cycle batteries used in off-grid and unstable grid applications are heavily cycled at partial state of charge (PSOC). Operating at PSOC on a regular basis
can quickly diminish the overall life of a battery, which results in frequent and costly battery replacements.

To address the impact of PSOC on deep-cycle batteries in renewable energy (RE), inverter backup and telecom applications, Trojan Battery has now included "Smart Carbon™ as a standard feature in its Industrial and Premium flooded battery lines.

The RE line has double that warranty and are designed to last 10 years. They cost about 10% more but will more than pay that back with longer life.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
One note on the new T105 RE batteries. The terminal at the top is larger than your standard car type so some of your modified battery boxes could encounter a problem. Mine just barely fit.