Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Upgrading converter in 2009 19' International

The original equipment in my Airstream is a Parallax Power Center which has a 120 volt AC breaker/distribution panel, a 12 volt DC automotive type fuse/distribution panel, and a 55amp single stage converter/charger.

I plan to replace the Parallax charger/converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD 9260C 60 amp RV converter/charger from Bestconverter.com. At the same time I will retain the Parallax breaker/fuse/distribution panels since they are up to date.

My first question is about wiring. The PD 9260 comes with a 120 VAC 3' cord with 3-prong plug while the original Parallax converter/charger appears to be hard-wired to the 120 VAC Parallax distribution panel. How should I wired the 120 VAC to the converter--install a wall outlet or cut the plug off the cord and hard wire it to distribution panel?

I have spent days researching the Forums to find a similar installation as mine without luck. Most examples are 1970s-vintage Airstreams. I am also installing a Trimetric 2025RV Battery monitor and two new group 24 batteries. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I will eventually install portable solar panels at a later date (when I recover financially from the converter installation.)

Thanks, Don

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I am almost finished changing from a Paralax converter to an Iota which also has a cord with three prong plug. I tapped into the 120v line to the breaker panel and from inside a junction box ran a line to an outlet box. There, I plugged in the Iota power cord. It was not a straight forward conversion as the Paralax is mounted sideways behind the panel covering the breakers and fuses where the Iota mounts front to back.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Install an outlet and plug it in.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Wiring PD9260 Converter

I have hardwired 14 gauge short extension cord with 3-prong female plug for the 9260 to plug into. I plan to move the 6 AWG battery cables from the Parallax 12 VDC panel and plug them into 9260. I bought some 4 AWG wire from a welding supply store (the smallest they had). They will be connected to 12 volt distribution panel from 9260. Am I OK so far?

My question is: The Parallax 12 volt distribution panel was supplied from the Parallax converter by 10 or 12 AWG solid wire (blue and white). Is the new wiring with the 9260 such that the panel now receives power through the 6 AWG connection from the 9260? Confusing? I would include pictures if I could figure out how to load them

(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
Old 07-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
There should be three sets of wires involved with the converter. First is the 120v supply (three prong plug). Second, there are the 6 gauge wires to the battery for charging and third are the wires to the 12v distribution panel. These wires have to be sized to handle the power of your 12v system.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1343510496

This is my Parallax 12 VDC panel presently wired to Parallax 7355 converter. I have purchased a PD 9260 converter and need to wire it. I have seen photos of several variations of how to wire it to new converter. The 7 wires in the lower left of panel remain. The 2 large cables on the right go to the battery and remain in place. The blue wire at top of panel and smaller white wire running behind battery cables go to the existing converter and will be removed and replaced with 4 AWG (welding) cable and connected to the + and - positions on the PD 9260 converter. The ground cable on converter chassis will be connected to the "earth" buss on the adjacent 120 VAC service box. Does this seem right? Comments accepted.

Thanks, Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3523.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	164032  

(Bud Light commercial)

Tags
19' international