Old 12-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
1995 21' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Thanks so much for posting this, Burnsdl! I'm very jealous. And very impressed. I hope one day I can follow your lead and your writeup will be so helpful.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We have a very similar solar and LFP set-up as does the OP and love it . However, every once and awhile the generator is a necessary evil and we rely on our LP converted Yamaha 2000 (runs on LP, Natural Gas or gasoline.) We plug it into the auxiliary LP port on the Airstream and don't need to fuss with gasoline or stale fuel. LP usage on a per gallon basis is very similar to gasoline which means that a gallon of propane will run the generator for nearly 12 hours and we rarely need to run it for more than 1 to 2 hours per day to top off the batteries when the solar cannot keep up due to clouds or shady conditions at a campsite.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Ted--

The solar system, if set up properly, will trickle charge your batteries for months. Lithiums can be a challenge because they must not be charge of ambient temp is under 32, but this doesn't apply to your AGM's. It's all in getting a good solar controller, like the Blue Sky.

Our coach is in storage from Octiber through March, and we can always count on full batteries. The beauty of a good solar system!
Our 2013 International hase the original batteries and our electrical set up is the original as it came from the factory. When not on the road we store it on our driveway and keep it plugged in 24/7 and I check the batteries regularly. To date we have not had any electrical issues whatsoever.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #18
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Ted--

The solar system, if set up properly, will trickle charge your batteries for months. Lithiums can be a challenge because they must not be charge of ambient temp is under 32, but this doesn't apply to your AGM's. It's all in getting a good solar controller, like the Blue Sky.

Our coach is in storage from Octiber through March, and we can always count on full batteries. The beauty of a good solar system!
That wouldn't work if you have indoor storage.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I actually have indoor storage, I leave the trailer plugged in with the batteries connected. Don't even have to winterize.

I never know if I am doing the right thing. Sometimes I think I am over charging the batteries but isn't the converter/charger supposed to rationalize the power to the battery and only trickle charge as needed?

So then I go an unplug it and disconnect the batteries for a while, then plug it back in.

I have wasted a few RV batteries in my day albeit before the Airstream. So I can't trust myself with $3000 in batteries. My grandfather was an electrical engineer and I certainly didn't make him proud.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsdl View Post
burnsdl
Awesome! Quite an investment, but if it's your home full time I can understand it. Congrats on a really cool upgrade! I join you in your "woo hoo"!
Old 12-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I actually have indoor storage, I leave the trailer plugged in with the batteries connected. Don't even have to winterize.

I never know if I am doing the right thing. Sometimes I think I am over charging the batteries but isn't the converter/charger supposed to rationalize the power to the battery and only trickle charge as needed?

So then I go an unplug it and disconnect the batteries for a while, then plug it back in.

I have wasted a few RV batteries in my day albeit before the Airstream. So I can't trust myself with $3000 in batteries. My grandfather was an electrical engineer and I certainly didn't make him proud.
The lithiums actually have a storage procedure. And will store without the problems that Lead Acid have.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Changing out the stock Airstream charger is the first upgrade that anyone who is interested in their batteries and off grid electrical use should do. Left plugged in all the time will destroy your batteries fairly quickly. I know that some people report having no issues with the stock Airstream charger and leaving their trailer plugged in all the time, but in my opinion either they are cycling the "store/use" switch to prevent these issues or they just wouldn't recognize a good battery if it hit them in the face.