Old 09-30-2002, 12:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Univolt operation

bhs18
Univolts do not have a change over relay. You have never said what the make and model of your "charger" is. Quite well it's not a univolt. Additionally, if it is a Univolt, it is connected to the battery through a fuse. That's how Airstream built it, but who knows how someone else may have modified it.

Also we don't know where you got the price of $360.00 for a univolt from us.

The univolts have been on our web site "sale" page for almost a year and the price is $265.00.

If your going to quote prices from us, please make sure that they are correct. It will be one less thing that others can complain about.

Thanks.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com

Old 09-30-2002, 01:04 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
univolt price

Andy, my humble apologies. I had looked up the price at your web site and just put down the wrong number. I am unsure as to the make and model of the converter in my trailer but it does not look anything like the picture on your site. Logic tells me from all the information I have been able to gather through this forum that there is nothing wrong with the converter and I will have to identify a bad ground. Again, I am sorry about the misquote of your price, I should have said they are on sale for $49.95!

Old 09-30-2002, 01:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The old Univolts were much larger and heavier then the new models.
Since you have a 1975 trailer, I would suggest that you get a "service manual" from Helen Davis at 937-4928885.
It will answer most of those questions that you could ever have about your trailer. That in it self will save you many labor dollars.
If you have a fax number, I will be happy to fax a schematic of the 12 volt systems in your trailer.
I cannot e-mail it as my scanner won't cooperate, and our main computer crashed on Thursday, so I am using a fill in.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 09-30-2002, 01:29 PM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Brouck,

The "converter" (now that we think it is not a univolt) is it brown with a flip down door to access the fuses? Or is the fuse panel mounted to the skin of the trailer?

Where is the battery in relation to the converter/distribution panel?

One thing to try to isolate it to a bad ground or bad battery cable would be to bring the battery inside and temporarily connect it to the distribution panel. If that works then you know you have a bad wire, positive or negative.

If you can I would check to see how well the battery ground is mounted.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 02:15 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
univolt,the saga continues

Andy, thanks for your offer. I have already purchased a manual from Helen.It is now my bedside reader. The converter that is there in the trailer is heavy and its guts are inaccessable without drilling out rivets.The manual shows a picture that looks like the one on your website so it must be a replacement I have. I am going to take Brett's suggestion and pursue the ground issue.I will post results.Thanks again gentlemen. It looks like I'll try anything twice, but it always ends up costing me money.
Brouck
Old 10-21-2002, 04:31 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
electrical update

As promised I said I would post the results of my excursion into the world of battery grounds. What I ended up doing was grounding the fuse between the battery and the converter to a water pipe and voila I am able to use the battery power. Now, if I can get more than 24 hours of use from the battery I would be happy. I suspect it has something to do with using the furnace, all the lights, and the stereo system for several hours. Thanks again to everyone who had solid suggestions.
Brouck