Old 10-23-2003, 09:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Univolt hmmmmm, NOT!

My univolt quit humming.You may have remmebered that I was having some electrical problems earlier in the month.I now have the trailer hooked directly into 110v and hooked to a battery,while the vehicle is running. Despite the vehicle being running it is deadening the battery.I am armed with a service manual so bring on the suggestions.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:58 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Sounds like a shorted cell in the coach battery. That would be the only way you cold be drawing enough current form the tow vehicle while running. If the battery has a shorted cell it could have overloaded the univolt and caused it to shutdown.

Check the univolt and see if it is plugged into a live 110 volt outlet. If you have some outlets that do not work you could be dealing with something as simple as a popped breaker, or blown fuse.

I would have the battery checked/tested though cause you should not be drawing the kind of Amperage that will kill the tow vehicle battery while running.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Unhappy Univolt...

Turned out that my one "homemade" extension cord that I was using had been wired reversely(the entire trailer was 110 volts and I got zapped) I found this out the hard way Next question: Is the 12volt system and the 110 volt system connected? I still only have dc (12) when plugged into the battery and only have ac (110) when plugged into the house. Should the 110v not be charging the battery when when plugged into the house? And why doesn't any of my dc lights overhead and wall socket work?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:55 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Depending on the year there is either a fuse panel on the univolt itself or a remote fuse panel on the trailer. I would check tose fuses to see is one is bad. Most trailers had 2 or 3 individual circuits for lights, fans, sockets, etc.

If your unitvolt is working then it should charge the 12 volt battery and create an additioanl AMPs to run the other 12 volt stuff that is on.

The old univolts had a set of screw in glass fuses that as they heated and cooled would cause the univlot to disconnect from the 12 volt system. I would check for this too.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote