Old 04-05-2004, 06:52 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Your Univolt is overcharging if you have to make a concerned effort to keep water in the battery.

A battery will bubble (i.e. lose water) if left charging at 13.5 volts AFTER it has reached fully charged.

Sorry,
Tom
An automobile puts out 14.2 and they dont "kill" balleries off of 14.2 and they need the water topped off periodically.
Batterys go bad when the water gets low.
Check the water once a month and it will be fine .
I have been in Automotive service for 12 years, batteries go bad when the water level in not maintained.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonesnc
An automobile puts out 14.2 and they dont "kill" balleries off of 14.2 and they need the water topped off periodically.
You are right. But an automobile does not put out that voltage 24-7. A battery at rest puts out 12.5 or so volts. Any voltage higher than that will charge it. Charging a battery will make it bubble. Bubbling means losing water.

Regardless, if water has to be constantly added to a battery, the battery is being overcharged. In my laziness, I do not care to add water to a battery on a constant basis. Your points are valid. But, please do not attempt to tell people that a correctly functioning Univolt means seldom having to add water to the battery. Univolts will overcharge.

Tom

Old 04-05-2004, 08:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ok, but if I have a "sealed" Interstate RV battery, how does one add water? I can't see anything that allows me too.
Marc
Old 04-05-2004, 10:43 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
You are right. But an automobile does not put out that voltage 24-7. A battery at rest puts out 12.5 or so volts. Any voltage higher than that will charge it. Charging a battery will make it bubble. Bubbling means losing water.

Regardless, if water has to be constantly added to a battery, the battery is being overcharged. In my laziness, I do not care to add water to a battery on a constant basis. Your points are valid. But, please do not attempt to tell people that a correctly functioning Univolt means seldom having to add water to the battery. Univolts will overcharge.

Tom
I never used the words "constantly" or "seldom"
A properly functioning univolt will not ruin a battery IF the battery water level is checked once a month and added as nessecary (I seldom have to add water to mine but thats just mine im not speaking for others.)
Anytime a car engine is running it will produce 14.2 volts to the battery.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Ok, but if I have a "sealed" Interstate RV battery, how does one add water? I can't see anything that allows me too.
Marc
I have maintenance free sealed Delco Voyager batteries and rarely charge with the Magnetek charger that was put in my Excella by the PO. I keep the batteries charged with a 5 watt PulseTech Solargizer solar charger and a BatteryMinder multi-step charger which are both plugged in 24 hrs. a day at the house. The trailer is at the hunting camp now for 4 weeks where it will be charged daily by the 5 watt solar panel. Last weekend I plugged in an additional 20 watt solar panel while there for 2 days and when I left Sunday I pulled it off the roof and put it inside the trailer. I've had these batteries for almost 3 years now with no problem. You have to be careful you do not overcharge sealed batteries so make sure your charger is in good shape.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote