Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 206
Unique 12v Refrigerators. Does anybody have experience with one?

Just wondering if anybody has installed one of these fridges in their trailer. The specs look fantastic. They're designed for residential applications and I cannot find any info on reliability, longivity, etc in RV's.

If they can handle the road, they would be one of the most efficient options avalible.
__________________

Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:48 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 160
kind of hard not knowing what models/ make of fridges. also specs or links to specks would help. kurt
__________________

ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
Springtown , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 80
Here is the website, models vary as well as intended use.
I found this company when planning for a friends RV residential fridge solar system.

https://uniqueappliances.com/category/solar-appliances/
__________________
2014 Torque TQ290, Hensley Arrow w/adjustable stinger
2018 F-350 Lariat Ultimate DRW, 4x4, 6.7, 4.10
2008 KTM 300 XC-W
2005 Kawasaki KX 85
2018 Can-Am Maverick Trail 800 DPS
CarterKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6gkv View Post
kind of hard not knowing what models/ make of fridges. also specs or links to specks would help. kurt
If you had installed and used one, you wouldn't need to know the model and specs now, would you!!!!
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 242
Shermy1987 I didnít have a clue either what you were referring to. I didnít know Unique was a brand name. Probably a lot of us werenít in tune with what you were talking about. Just saying. The link was helpful and they do look interesting.
mehes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,282
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
I don't think the vertical fridge/freezers are going to be significantly more efficient than an Isotherm or Vitrifrigo that are designed for boat and RV environments. The portables with their chest form-factor have some efficiency advantage because of the shape, but that's inconvenient to use on the daily...

The big thing is the Danfoss compressor, which you'll find in the Isotherm and Vitrifrigo units and in a couple of Dometic and Norcold units.
__________________
ó David

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 318
Look at Nova kool. Dansford compressors but designed for trailers and boats.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:16 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I don't think the vertical fridge/freezers are going to be significantly more efficient than an Isotherm or Vitrifrigo that are designed for boat and RV environments. The portables with their chest form-factor have some efficiency advantage because of the shape, but that's inconvenient to use on the daily...

The big thing is the Danfoss compressor, which you'll find in the Isotherm and Vitrifrigo units and in a couple of Dometic and Norcold units.
These units use a Danfos compressor also. And if you look at the sidewalls of the refrigerators, they have more insulation than any RV fridge I've ever seen.

Looking at power specs between a 8 cubic foot vitifrigo and a 9 cubic foot Unique, the Unique draws 47 amps in 24 hours (12v) whereas the Vitifrigo draws 68 amps. This is quite a sizable difference. especially when you consider the Unique fridge is 300 or so bucks cheaper.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,102
Blog Entries: 13
Are the Unique brand reefers designed and built to bounce down the highway, though? The Vitrifrigo and the Nova Kool are very common in marine applications so pretty rugged.

Before I bought one, Iíd talk to the manufacturer and ensure that a mobile installation was both wise and not a warranty exclusion.
__________________
new (usually dirty) Nissan Titan XD (hardly paid for)
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:19 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Are the Unique brand reefers designed and built to bounce down the highway, though?
Yeah, maybe somebody should start a thread to find an answer to that question!
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,661
When my Dometic fails I’m putting in a Vitrifrigo.

Al
__________________

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #12
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,282
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
These units use a Danfos compressor also. And if you look at the sidewalls of the refrigerators, they have more insulation than any RV fridge I've ever seen.

Looking at power specs between a 8 cubic foot vitifrigo and a 9 cubic foot Unique, the Unique draws 47 amps in 24 hours (12v) whereas the Vitifrigo draws 68 amps. This is quite a sizable difference. especially when you consider the Unique fridge is 300 or so bucks cheaper.
Are the tests performed in identical environments? I recall that the Unique's spec sheet says specifically that they are not designed to be used in non-climate-controlled spaces. Like the interior of a travel trailer towing on a summer day...

I'm not being negative about Unique's products, by the way. I have a fantasy project for an off-grid cabin in Colorado and will likely go with one or two of their Danfoss-based offerings for refrigeration if I ever get to do that, but I'd need to know more before installing one in an Airstream. They don't seem to be designed to be bolted down, by the way, and reviews have described their exterior surfaces as a bit delicate.
__________________
ó David

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
 
1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Are the Unique brand reefers designed and built to bounce down the highway, though? The Vitrifrigo and the Nova Kool are very common in marine applications so pretty rugged.

Before I bought one, Iíd talk to the manufacturer and ensure that a mobile installation was both wise and not a warranty exclusion.
Thats what I was hoping this thread could answer. Not suggestions or opinions but "experience" with these fridges.

Thanks,
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member
 
DonRich7878's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Key West , Florida
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Are the tests performed in identical environments? I recall that the Unique's spec sheet says specifically that they are not designed to be used in non-climate-controlled spaces. Like the interior of a travel trailer towing on a summer day...

I'm not being negative about Unique's products, by the way. I have a fantasy project for an off-grid cabin in Colorado and will likely go with one or two of their Danfoss-based offerings for refrigeration if I ever get to do that, but I'd need to know more before installing one in an Airstream. They don't seem to be designed to be bolted down, by the way, and reviews have described their exterior surfaces as a bit delicate.



Page 7 of the installation manual states the following:

"This appliance uses the exterior walls to transfer heat from the inside of the cabinet. Ensure that there is adequate space between the fridge and neighboring walls or large objects. A minimum spacing of 3 inches (7.5 cm) is highly recommended."
__________________

DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
12v


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody have experience with Ford's New "Pro Trailer Backup Assist"? DaytonaDan Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 35 10-07-2017 05:03 PM
Do refrigerators have draintubes? Easyrider06 Refrigerators 10 10-06-2015 11:38 PM
Anybody have good or bad experience with Colton airstream dealer scamp 2005 and newer - Bambi all models 1 07-24-2014 12:20 PM
Does anybody know what model of AC I might have kpicard Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 8 06-06-2011 10:50 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×