Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Harrison Hot Springs , British Columbia
Unable to get power from my truck battery when connected to the trailier!

My camper battery/electrical system is unable to get power from my trucks batteries. My camper battery is able to charge on 120 volts, although the battery is unable to hold a long charge. In the past, I was always able to boost the battery power and use the lights/water pump by simply plugging my truck in. All the lights/ turn signals and brakes work while driving.

Basically, I'm unable to access my truck batteries while plugged into my truck.

So is it my camper battery, a poor connection from my truck, or is it the converter in the camper?
Ribbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Most likely a bad battery. The truck does not provide much of a charge even when the battery is good. You can check with a meter to see if you are getting power from the truck. Could be a blown fuse due to a weak battery.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The converter in the camper is not in use when the truck is plugged in but 120VAC is not. Because the camper battery runs down quickly and does not hold a charge for a couple weeks means the battery is bad and needs to be replaced. You also may have a poor connection where the camper plugs into the truck. Clean it and check the voltage in the trailer when the trailer battery is disconnected and trailer is not plugged in to AC.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbler View Post
My camper battery/electrical system is unable to get power from my trucks batteries. My camper battery is able to charge on 120 volts, although the battery is unable to hold a long charge. In the past, I was always able to boost the battery power and use the lights/water pump by simply plugging my truck in. All the lights/ turn signals and brakes work while driving.

Basically, I'm unable to access my truck batteries while plugged into my truck.

So is it my camper battery, a poor connection from my truck, or is it the converter in the camper?
Sounds like your camper batteries. Disconnect your camper batteries at the battery posts and then, with no shore power, Plug into your truck. If you can now get light from your fixtures, your camper batteries are bad. If you still can get no light, then you have a bad 12V+ connection to the truck. This is assuming that your truck batteries are good.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Thanks, Looks like the camper battery is no good. I will give battery another chance, that's until I get a new one. If the truck connection is good, then why am I not getting the power to the camper lights etc.? Should the truck batteries by-pass the failing camper battery, or do I just have to disconnect the camper battery for this to work? Or, of course, get another deep cycle battery for the camper? Thanks.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
All the connections are in parallel. This means there is no way for the truck batteries to "bypass" the bad trailer battery.

The amount of current supplied by the truck is small, simply because of the distance from where the wire leading to the trailer is connected to the power of the truck.

Remember, DC current does not like to travel far. Think of water traveling a long distance in a garden hose. There is much less pressure at the end of the hose than at the faucet, right?

The bad battery in the trailer sucks up what is left, and leaves none to run your trailer. To get through until you can buy a trailer battery, you would be better off to just disconnect the bad trailer battery and use only the truck. Keep in mind your truck battery will be running down.....

Good Luck.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Thanks for the info Jeff
Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
You are welcome,

And, Welcome to the forums!

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
A 7-way tester will show if all is well coming from the tow vehicle.

I paid about $10 for mine two years ago.

`
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote