Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

TV reception

Just wondering what everyone is doing about TV reception. I'm looking to get out once this season while restoring my 68 Safari. Do antenas work at all? Should I invest in a satelite system? I havn't been out at all yet camping so I don't know if cable is even available at most campgrounds?

Thanks Scott,
68 Safari
niss1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Good question! I was looking to replace my old Skyliner.
Does anyone use their antennas?
What kind you have?
How well does it work?
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

The Feds aren't requiring the networks to broadcast much longer. They MIGHT stop sometime after that date in time.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
What kind you have?
How well does it work?
yes i use mine

batwing

works better than the one on top my house!

john
Old 09-09-2005, 01:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Batwing

Same here, John. For some reason, the batwing on my Bambi out performs my home system, which is higher and has more signal amplification. To the point that I'm thinking about getting one for my house. I live so far out in the woods, I'll never get cable. Satellite works fine, both for the house and in the Airstream.

Scott - One thing to consider with satellite is, at some campgrounds, you don't know if you're going to get a good shot at the southwest until you get there. Some, but not all, campgrounds have cable. A few charge extra for it.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:26 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 24' Tradewind
Silver City , Motorcourt
A couple of other things to consider.......

Do you already subscribe to a satellite system? If you do the cost is minimal, since you use the receiver out of your house when you travel.

The other question is - Do you want to install anything on top of your vintage unit if there isn't alerady anything up there? With the satellite systems, they can be mounted on a tripod and placed outside which also helps with locating the satellite.
silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the info coming in everyone. I do not subscribe to a satelite service now. Its something I may want to consider if I want TV when Im out in the Safari and also with the rising price of cable. It would probably be alot cheaper this way too, the ones I looked at on the internet were $1000 and up. As far as the dish goes on my classic, I think the tripod is an excellent idea. I will however be compromising the classic/vintage look when I install an AC. I cant even imagine going out without AC. What is a bat wing? I have the original antena which still goes up and turns, do you think it is worth cleaning up and using?

I also want to thank everyone here for their time, experience and wisdom!!! I'm a skilled cabinetmaker and manage a small colleges buildings and grounds department, so I have the skills and know how to do all of the work myself. The information I get from this group is invaluable to me, without it, it would take me forever to figure things out and I'm able to learn from everyone before making critical mistakes or butchering my Safari.

Thanks, Scott
68 Safari
Old 09-09-2005, 08:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by niss1679
What is a bat wing? I have the original antena which still goes up and turns, do you think it is worth cleaning up and using?

Thanks, Scott
68 Safari
Scott, a Batwing is a type of antenna. This is a good visual http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...26655&src=SRQB. I would keep the original antenna.. But thats your choice. The choice was allready made for me on my 67 Safari. LP

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
What kind you have?
How well does it work?
From what I understand the "old Skyliner" might just be your best choice for fit and reception. More than one person has swapped thiers for something more modern and been less than pleased with the result. P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I assume the old Skyliner your referring to is my original antena?

Scott
Old 09-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter&Denise
From what I understand the "old Skyliner" might just be your best choice for fit and reception. More than one person has swapped thiers for something more modern and been less than pleased with the result. P.
I had to switch because my skyliner was leaking, and the innards were corroded beyond repair. However, it worked well. it worked much better when I added a signal amplifier to it. (I installed the signal amplifier before I knew there was a leak issue.)

So since I already had the amplifier, I bought the batwing model that does NOT have a built-in amplifier. It works really well, too, but its hard to say if its "better" than the skyliner, because everywhere you go, reception is different. In my driveway, trying to compare apples to apples, the batwing seems a little better. It may be my imagination, though. If it is better, its not by a lot.

What I do know is that one time at a rally, I was parked right next to someone w/ an amplified batwing, and they were pulling in more channels than I was with my un-amplified skyliner. In all likelyhood, its the amplification that was making the difference; not the antenna itself. My understanding is that the skyliner and others of that type, are about as good an antenna as can be had.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Ditto what JohnHD said. Thinking of getting one for the house! I get channels in the A/S I can't see at all on the house antenna. I do have an extra DirecTV receiver that I take.
I was at the dump the other day and I saw a guy throw a brand new Super Dish in the dumpster. I was in line and could not get up there fast enough. Dang!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:07 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 24' Tradewind
Silver City , Motorcourt
Most of the tripod models are running between $150 and 300 around here.

Speaking of AC, this may sound a little strange, but this is what we do....
We purchased a small house window AC unit for around 100 bucks, when we need AC- we have fashioned a replacement for the bathroom window screen that holds the unit. It cools well, doesn't hardly show (especially if you have slide on window awnings), is only in use when you need it, and doesn't compromise your sleek lines. It doesn't look like trailer-trash like you might expect.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 24' Tradewind
Silver City , Motorcourt
Also- you keep the screen and use it when you don't need AC.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I had to switch because my skyliner was leaking, and the innards were corroded beyond repair. However, it worked well. it worked much better when I added a signal amplifier to it. (I installed the signal amplifier before I knew there was a leak issue.)

So since I already had the amplifier, I bought the batwing model that does NOT have a built-in amplifier. It works really well, too, but its hard to say if its "better" than the skyliner, because everywhere you go, reception is different. In my driveway, trying to compare apples to apples, the batwing seems a little better. It may be my imagination, though. If it is better, its not by a lot.

What I do know is that one time at a rally, I was parked right next to someone w/ an amplified batwing, and they were pulling in more channels than I was with my un-amplified skyliner. In all likelyhood, its the amplification that was making the difference; not the antenna itself. My understanding is that the skyliner and others of that type, are about as good an antenna as can be had.
I am not familiar with TV antennas. Ask me anything about torsion axles and RV plumbing but I know nothing about TV antennas and amplifiers!
First of all, is my Skyliner an amplified antenna already? Where would I check to see if i have power going to it?
If it is not amplified how can I add an amplifier?
I never took a TV with me until I had kids, (just a few years since then). Now, when it is raining outside I have found a need for some form of entertainment for the girls. I can only watch "The Little Mermaid" 25 times in a row before I need to watch something else.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #16
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
I am not familiar with TV antennas. Ask me anything about torsion axles and RV plumbing but I know nothing about TV antennas and amplifiers!
First of all, is my Skyliner an amplified antenna already? Where would I check to see if i have power going to it?
If it is not amplified how can I add an amplifier?
I never took a TV with me until I had kids, (just a few years since then). Now, when it is raining outside I have found a need for some form of entertainment for the girls. I can only watch "The Little Mermaid" 25 times in a row before I need to watch something else.

some of the later one's were amplified. Never seen one, but I suspect if you had an amp, you'd know it.

You can add the amp just like I did. Its a replacement to your 12v outlet/antenna connection. Wineguard makes them. It has the signal amplifier on a tiny p.c. board behind the plate. It draws its power from the 12v outlet. Most rv parts places will have the device.

for your skyliner, you'll probably need a gizmo that will adapt the 75ohm antenna lead to coaxial. either that, or replace the existing antenna lead wire w/ coaxial...(not an easy task, though. requires you to drop the ceiling. )

here's a link: http://www.dyersonline.com/pc-3030-2...amplifier.aspx

the pic is kind of small, there, but you may notice that there are 3 coaxial connectors on the back side of this thing. one is "in from antenna". one is "in from cable". If you have an external cable jack on the outside of your trailer, you can run the wire to this connector. Your tv can connect to the same wall jack, and receive signal from either the antenna, or the cable. I made a "poor-man's" cable connection by running a length of coax down behind the fridge, (my original 12v/tv jack is over the fridge; very easy to snake a cable down alongside the fridge flue vent), out the chicken-wire vent in the floor, then across the belly of the trailer over to the street-side wheel well. attached the cable to the belly with coax cable clips, screwed to the belly pan w/ sheet metal screws. Made a loop in the end of the cable and clipped it up out of site on the belly pan. the cable detaches from the last clip and hangs down about a foot, where you can easily attach an extension length of cable to connect up to a campground jack.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:22 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I assume the old Skyliner your referring to is my original antena?

Scott
Close. The Skyliner is the antenna that looks like a clothes tree on top of your trailer. I had a Batwing on my Argosy, it was the unamplified version, and it got better reception than a fellow forum member's Skyliner. We were parked in adjacent spaces, with no obstructions.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:49 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Well, I cleaned up my original antena after work today. Of coarse when I was taking the two rusty screws out of the do thingy that my coaxle comes out and attaches to crumbled in my hand. Sh#@! I went to my local hardware store and found on the shelf a small VHF/UHF boxed connecter. It looked like its been there since the 70's. The box is only about 1.5" x 1.5" so it doesnt look bad up front. I connected the coaxle to it and mounted it, it should work OK? I had a choice of 75 ohm or 300 ohm, I picked the 300 ohm, more is better, right? I'll have to replace the sleeves that the thumb screws go in to hold the antena in the up position. Both of mine were plastic and cracked at the thumb screw. I need two, one 1 1/8" ID and one 1 1/4 ID. I found both sizes in aluminum tubing stock at the hardware store but I had to by 6' lengths, I only need 3/4" of each. I'll check with my metal fabricating contractor tomorrow for cut offs. They'll probably have thicker stock anyhow and better to tap theads into. Question, how do I attach the coaxle wire to the antena pole? Drill and solder? The cable wire fished through the chase behind the fridge and under the belly is a great idea. Im sure I'll be adding it to mine. Is the street side wheel well the best location for hook up at campgrounds? Oh well, probably to many questions.

Question recap -
UHF/VHF box - OK?
75 vs 300 ohm - better?
how to attach coaxle wire to antena?

As always, THANKS
Scott
68 Safari
Old 09-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
..... I had a choice of 75 ohm or 300 ohm, I picked the 300 ohm, more is better, right?
75 vs 300 ohm - better?
how to attach coaxle wire to antena?
68 Safari
Scott, the 75 ohm is for the coaxial cable. The 300 ohm is for the flat lead that was used years ago from roof top antennas.

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 01:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
True~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve
Scott, the 75 ohm is for the coaxial cable. The 300 ohm is for the flat lead that was used years ago from roof top antennas.
Steve
If I may Steve,
The 300 ohm flat lead is the proper impedance for matching the older style TV antenna of the LogP design. BTW, internal line loss is considerably lower for 300 ohm vice 75 ohm.
There's nothing wrong with using 75 ohm coaxial cable lead as long as you use an impedance matching device at the base of the TV antenna.
I do believe all TV on the market today have a 75 ohm style input jack. TV antenna connection adapters are available for crossing over from 300 ohm to 75 ohm input to make the hookup easier.
I highly recommend one make use of a in-line preamp for either the older style LogP or newer batwing antenna. In this case, higher signal gain is better..
Satellite system requires another whole new thinking cap.
Due to the satellite TV system's design, there would be no circumstance where I'd ever entertain the use of a 300 ohm flat lead.
I will say this about coaxial cables used in Satellite TV system. I'm sure that all of us have, at one time or another, been parked next to someone using Satellite TV and, observed the large "rolls" of coaxial cable laying around. I'd recommend that you just make up several different cable length, like one that's 15 ft, another one for 20 ft etc, to have on hand for use as required.
When purchasing coaxial cable, just remember to ask for the highest grade, w/ the lowest line loss you can afford and, by all means, get the proper impedance cable as well for your system.
When using coaxial connectors, stay away from the internal crimping types.
The proper technique is to careful dress the outer braid and, solder the internal lead to the coaxial connector's pin. (No cold solder joints here!)
You'll end up with a much longer lasting connector on both ends.
Thanks Steve, for allowing me to jump in here..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote