Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2004, 03:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

TV connections

Hi! We are new to travel trailers and Airstreams and have a really dumb question. On our 1974 Sovreign, there is what looks like an antenna connection in the living room part of our trailer. There is an antenna on the top of the trailer that cranks up and down. What do you use to connect the TV to the antenna connection? And the campgrounds that list cable connections, how do you hook into those? Or is it even possible with a vintage trailer? We would appreciate any help you can give us! My husband does not think he can live without the TV once football season starts up!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
On the exterior wall, behind the drapes, near the refer there should be a wedge shaped plastic cover with 4 screws holding it to the wall. On the lower side of this is a 12 volt outlet and 2 small holes. The small holes are for a 300 ohm TV antenna lead. It is easily converted to a 75 ohm CATV connection with a matching transformer.

The Campground cable TV connection will need to be installed by you. You coach was new when cable TV was in it's infancy. This will require you to run a cable form the exterior to the interior where the TV will sit.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 04:20 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I had taken the twin-lead antenna wire off of mine and connected it to a gizmo (radio shack) that converts it to an "f" connector, and just ran the wire to the tv from there. not pretty, but it worked. my outlet is in the overhead cabinet over the fridge, though...may be a different location than yours. Anyway, I just had some loose wires in the cabinet as a result. mostly out of site.

I just replaced the original outlet w/ a new one. the plate has a catv jack, as well as the 12v receptacle, but on the inside, it also has a signial amplifier. I installed this and used the same 300ohm-75ohm converter to connect the antenna wire to it, so now I have a "cable style" jack. And the signal amplifier works, too!! I'm actually quite impressed...I can pick up quite a few more stations now than I could before.

This new outlet also has a place to run another cable for an external catv connection. not sure if I want to go to this extent, but it enables you to have a single place to hookup your tv set, and receive either cable from the campground hookup, or use the antenna. As Brett said, I'd have to install an external catv input, and run a wire from that point to the new wall plate.

up until a couple of weeks ago, I used a special piece of flat coaxial cable that is meant to be dangled out the window. the idea is that you can close the window (and/or screen) on it. run a regular lenght of coax from it to the campground hookup on the outside...and another from the inside end to your tv. it worked, for a little while. but there's a reason that coaxial cable is round...its not just a matter of having a continuous copper conductor running from point "a" to point "b"; and coaxial cable is much more fragile than it would appear. it doesn't like to be "squished" in a closed window. anyway, after a few uses, I started getting alot of interference...lousy picture, etc. finally figured out it was the lousy connection created by this flat wire. so I wouldn't recommend it...then again, they're only a few bucks at most RV stores, and it might get you through until you have a more permanent solution installed in the trailer.

here's a link to the amplifier: http://www.dyersonline.com/merchant....26+Receptacles
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:58 PM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
If tried to post a couple of pictures to show you a photo of the outlet that you have as well as a picture of what plugs into it. There are photos of these which were sent in by a forum member in a previous thread. I copied the photos but don't recall the name of the thread, or the person who made the photos. My recollection is that might try a search on "TV Adapter Plug."
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:40 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for your help everyone! My husband is out trying to round up some of the stuff we need to hook up the TV. We really appreciate the help!
Old 07-16-2004, 03:44 PM   #6
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Here is a link to a thread that will answer your questions and show you a photoof the part you will need to use your antenna. I understand that the original adapter plugs are very hard to locate. In the thread, you will see an offer by a kind lady in Washington State who has located a supply of these plugs at a local hardware store. She is sending me two of them next week. The cost of two plugs with tax was $7.38. They will be able to ship USPS for the 1 pound rate so cost to ship is only $3.50. The total cost is $10.88 for two plugs. If interested send her a private message over the forum. http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=Adapter+Plug
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
...You coach was new when cable TV was in it's infancy...
So I guess that means my '64 Bambi isn't wired for cable?!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:59 PM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Another way...

I decided to go ahead and run another cable and a phone line for mine.

I used an outside weather proof box with a snap close type cover. It turned out well and we use it every trip.

The jacks I used were Leviton snap in modules. You purchase the plate and then the type of connections you want then snap them it. It was neccessary to to do this so I could use the weatherpoof box that was available.

Here are a couple of photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outside-jack.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	7795   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside-jack.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	7796  

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 08:12 PM   #9
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Safari Tim,

Where did you run the cable/phone line into you trailer? Did you use a preexisting opening or did you create a new one?
WBCCI #3162, VAC
1969 Overlander International

"It's the little things in life that...."
jdleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 08:19 PM   #10
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdleezer
Safari Tim,

Where did you run the cable/phone line into you trailer? Did you use a preexisting opening or did you create a new one?
John,

I had recently redid all my plumbing and I ended up with an extra hole where the over pressure relief used to be. It was perfect because the hole went right up into the rear closet.

I just ran the lines up there and drilled holes in the backs of the cabinets to get to the location I wanted.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Hey Tim, nice job I like that and may try doing that in my AS.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote