Old 08-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
TV CHARGE LINE Wiring

Need help on a wiring question. My TV is a 2001 Tundra. As I get close to being ready travel with my trailer, I will be installing a brake control soon. I would also like to install a charge line to the trailer when I a doing this. Questions 1) what is that best location to add a relay so the charge line will only be hot with the key is on and what is the best type relay? 2) What gauge wire should I use 3) There relay inside my "control panel" ( in a 68 TW all the 12 volt circuits come to the panel ) in the trailer that is on charge wire. It is old and rusty. Does that need replacing, what did it do?

Thanks in advance for info on these questions.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Good Morning,

I'm not real familiar with the Tundra, but I believe if you have the "RV" receptacle, you already have a battery charge line there. You should have the diagram on the cover that closes over it. If not you can find it online so you can be sure. Save you alot of work in your TV if it's already there.

I had corrosion on my fuse block as well. I took emery cloth and cleaned the fuse holders up and haven't had any problems since.

Good luck

Al

Old 08-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
sorry, forgot about the relay! It's probably just the cover that is rusty. You can check that with a multimeter or test pen. Connect with your TV or power source, disconnect the battery side, and check the voltage on each side of it.

the "relays" are like breakers, controlled by heat. When they get too hot from overload or a short, they break contact. When they cool, it closes the circuit again.

Al
Old 08-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Does your AS have a 6 or 7 pin umbilical connection? Even if you have a 7 pin connector the AS umbilical is probably wired differently than modern connections which are standard in the RV industry. Compare your connections between TV and AS. The easiest way to make corrections is at the umbilical access inside and in front of the AS.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The 2001 Tundras only had 4 pin hook ups. Toyota did not offer 7 pin with their tow package til 2002. I am going to install a 7 pin connector at the same time I add the brake controller. PO had a 6 pin round plug and I was able to make work with an adaptor when I towed the trailer home. Marker, brakes lights, etc all work. I was told by an engineer friend with a 67 Overlander that the relay was very important since you can drain your TV battery if you leave the umbilical hooked up while camping with no shore power. The relay breaks the circuit when the TV switch is off.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
Need help on a wiring question. My TV is a 2001 Tundra. As I get close to being ready travel with my trailer, I will be installing a brake control soon. I would also like to install a charge line to the trailer when I a doing this.
Question: 2) What gauge wire should I use ?
Thanks in advance for info on these questions.
Wire gauge depends on how many amps you want to transfer, and how large a voltage drop due to line loss you are willing to give up.

If you are trying to cool a 12 volt (three way) Dometic refrigerator with the Tow Vehicle alternator, wire eliminating over 5% of the voltage will probably not allow the fridge to work (I think the refrigerator board cuts off the 12 volt boiler when the voltage drops below 13.1 volts).

If you are trying to charge the trailer battery from the TV while boondocking, the amperage the battery will want to draw will be significant.

A table showing 2% and 5% line loss could be found here:

Voltage drop, distcance and wire guage

Measure the entire length of the planned wire installation route, including the "ups and downs". The length of the wire from the 7-pin connector to the trailer battery also needs to be included in this calculation.

Don't scrimp on the wire gauge, and protect the charge wire with a fuse as soon as it comes off of the battery.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Thanks Dennis,

Appreciate the info.

Bruce
Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1969 25' Tradewind
1983 34' Limited
fairview , New Mexico
I would install a continous duty silenoid. lots of rv's use them to charge the tt batery and to disconnect when the inition is turned off on the tv. They resemble the silenoids used on the old ford vehicles.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The old Ford type was what I was going to use. I will check out the RV specific ones. I just haven't looked yet.

Thanks