Old 02-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
A battery monitor is not the issue here. It's hardly a requirement and 99%+ of people out there with RV's get by without one. Including myself. It's like trying to measure every once of fluid in the water tanks. It's just not necessary.

Regardless of battery monitor, I'd agree that your current indications show that there's something going on and that the batteries are either being drawn down prematurely, or they are not holding charge appropriately.

It wouldn't be the first time a newer trailer was delivered with damaged batteries.

I'd check the batteries first. Check water levels and general condition of the battery. I strongly suspect batteries to be your issue.

Get a clamp meter so you can measure for parasitic draws. It's a great troubleshooting tool to have.

Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i
Rear Bumper Hitch
pteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
The way I have approached this issue over the years is no different than if I had to leave my truck at the airport for a week or two, or even a couple months for that matter. If we can't visit friends or family for a few days without having to worry about otherwise healthy batteries, we have a problem.
Monitors are great and we move a bunch of them but understanding and pin-pointing your parasitic and known power consumption is the answer. Even a monitor uses power but not much. Self discharge is likely not your problem (unless your dealer ruined them prior to delivery) although 10-15% per month is often assumed. I feel your pain, this is not an uncommon question!
I've had 4 Airstreams and my favorite that I no longer own was a 76. I would leave it 3 or more months when deployed and come home to take the family camping with no shore power during storage. Only because I took the time to eliminate and draw and put it to bed fully charged. That was only one battery BTW back in the day. You'll get there, don't give up. I do think that fridge and inverter might be part of the equation too of you have one.

68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
All of this is good advice, but because there are so many variables, it is hard to suggest just one thing. While I agree that a monitor is not required, you really need to know how much load is on those batteries in your current mode. I am also not familiar with the Alde system, but if it has pump running, I feel certain that the load exceeds your winter solar charging capability.
I also believe that what you are describing is very clearly batteries that are not holding a charge. While other have said that it is common for dealers to destroy these before delivery, that is not really true of the AGM's in a factory solar-equipped trailer, UNLESS the trailer was stored indoors with no sun. And that would be unusual. The factory solar is good at keeping a stored trailer charged up. However, if you ever drained your batteries down to below 50%, and it sounds like you have, then you are responsible for damaging their capacity. The only solution for that is new batteries and you should spend the money for AGM's, as a minimum. I thought that sometime in 2018 Airstream started installing the better charger, but if you have the older more common version, upgrade through Randy at BESTCONVERTER.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #18
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Pittsfield Twp , Michigan
When I upgraded our old deep cycle to an AGM battery, and took half the summer of not getting a full charge with a little homework to realize or charger wasn't suited for AGM. Those batteries need about 14.4+ volts to charge properly. The small CTek charger/maintainer works great, also suited for long term float charging. If we're plugged in for an extended period of time I just disconnect the battery and run the Paradox 12v power supply.
Easiest way to narrow down a power draw is with an ammeter, then simply pull fuses or breakers one at a time.
By the way, a battery disconnect is a must for storage, although I realize in this case you were running a refrigerator.
wizardglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Trying to Understand battery issues

Hi - I am a little late to this party but I thought that I would share some power consumption data that I just took on my 2018 Classic-

Use/store switch in “use”, everything off, pulls approximately 1.6A. This includes solar controller and inverter back-currents and Firefly. I did notice that periodically the ALDE circulation pump would kick on, despite water heat and radiant heat shut off on the Firefly. This pump would run for a few minutes, pulling an additional 0.7 A, then shut off. I didn’t hang around long enough to see the frequency. Nor did I contort myself under the kitchen sink to shut down the ALDE from its dedicated panel.

Turning on the refrigerator on propane mode would pull an additional 0.9A. So, just these basic loads (not including ALDE) consume about 60 AHr per day. 200 W solar will have a hard time keeping the batteries topped, especially in winter months.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I thought that sometime in 2018 Airstream started installing the better charger, but if you have the older more common version, upgrade through Randy at BESTCONVERTER.

Larry

I have the “better charger” in my 2018 Classic - A WFCO WF-9855 - and I have NEVER seen it kick back into float mode, even after sitting quietly in my storage unit for days.

As part if it’s upcoming battery upgrade, it will be getting a quality converter. In the interim, I have it on a timer which applies power a couple days a week.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sweets

Welcome to AirForums!

I just found/read this thread. Any update on what is going on?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
I have the “better charger” in my 2018 Classic - A WFCO WF-9855 - and I have NEVER seen it kick back into float mode, even after sitting quietly in my storage unit for days.

As part if it’s upcoming battery upgrade, it will be getting a quality converter. In the interim, I have it on a timer which applies power a couple days a week.
That's weird; I thought the new WFCO units were 3 stage on 2018 and newer models?? Anyone else having issues with these? I have a 2017 and replaced the OEM with a Boondocker 50Amp from Bestconverters.com. Randy was a big help. I can leave my AS plugged in all the time without any issues now...charges and tends the batteries. I did install a mechanical knife disconnect switch also which I use to totally isolate the batteries while parked in the winter months when not in use. The Boondocker still works fine for my electrical needs in the AS like furnace and lights without the batteries.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The stock chargers in many of the trailers have had float capability for a long time. The gotcha has always been *how* they go into float, not if it's there at all. The process always involves "are we below some magic current?" followed by "have we waited long enough?". You the go into float. If you go above some (possibly different) magic current, you come out of float.

Good luck finding all that info on a typical charger data sheet

If the parasitic draw on your trailer is higher than the "magic current" to go into or come out of float ... you never go into float. If the timer is something like a month and you never wait that long ... you never go into float.

The flip side is, if the magic current limit is set to high, you go into float too soon. The battery is not done charging and you are now in float mode.

If they are going to sell the same charger to somebody with a single 60AH battery and somebody else with a bank of ten 100AH batteries ... somebody is going to get the wrong setting.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweets87 View Post
Thanks everyone for the tips/advice. Much appreciated.
Wondering if you got this figured out, and what the solution was?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Don't forget when the fridge is running on propane, the controls are still running on 12v.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote