Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Trying to replace shore power cord

I am trying to replace the shore power cord in my 1978 28' Ambassador with a rear bath. I am having difficulty finding how to run the cord from the rear bumper storage area up into the back of the trailer where I can access it through the outside access door. From the bumper storage area it disappears into a grommet and then emerges from under a grouping of cooper water pipes. There is about a foot of it that I can't see and don't know how to fish it up through there. Anyone done this before?
Thanks.
Tom
Old 08-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I replaced my shore power cord last month on my 65 Safari. I snaked a wire down through the cabinets and out to the power cord entrance. I then twisted it to the end of the power cord and pulled it up and through. My wife helped push from the outside as I pulled on the inside. It was not to big of a job. My trailer is only 22' so I purchased a 30' cord so I can reach my gen. in the bed of my truck still hitched to the trailer. Worked out pretty good. Hope this helps and good luck......Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
1st mark about 24" away from the outside grommet. Coat the 4" of wire a a time lightly with some kind of lubricant . Have someone pull the wire from the inside while you push it in the grommet from the outside. Can you get it through with some effort? If so continue reading.
I've done this with my son's SOB. Cut the old wire about 2' before the entrance grommet. Strip the wire down to the copper about 8-10 inches. Cut away about 1/2 half of the copper wires (Thin it out). This is so the wire isn't thicker when braided together. Do the same to the new cord. Then twist them together in 3 sets. Kind of like braids, not as if you were going to put on a wire nut. For added strength you could even solder them together. wrap with tape to further strengthen. lubricate the old wire hanging out, the splice, & as much of the new wire as needed to make it reach it's new home. Use the old wire to pull the new wire in.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I can't get it to budge. After it goes through the grommet it makes an immediate 90 degree turn which makes it hard to pull through. I was also wondering if it was attached with a clamp somewhere that I can't see. I will lube it up next to the grommet, as well as squirt the grommet, and see if I can get it to move a little. I suspect 33 years of laying in there has caused it to stick a bit. I can't see any way to expose that unseen foot of wire.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I oiled the cable with an oil can and pulled it back and forth an inch or so at a time. This freed it up. I taped the wires together and pulled them through. The secret is lubing the cable and working it slowly back and forth until it moves somewhat smoothly. Thanks for all of the help.
Tom
Old 08-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
Try using Dawn dish washing liquid on the cable. It will cause no harm or grease anything else. Once it drys, you won't even know it's there. The cable should easily move around for you (unless it's clamped).
Ag'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
They make wire pulling lubricant that won't attack the rubber or conduct electricity. Available in quart bottles at any home center.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote